History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Edgar's Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Lamarsh, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9849 / 51°59'5"N

Longitude: 0.7579 / 0°45'28"E

OS Eastings: 589478

OS Northings: 235422

OS Grid: TL894354

Mapcode National: GBR RKH.DFX

Mapcode Global: VHKFJ.3C0P

Entry Name: Edgar's Farmhouse

Listing Date: 12 November 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1122852

English Heritage Legacy ID: 114846

Location: Lamarsh, Braintree, Essex, CO8

County: Essex

District: Braintree

Civil Parish: Lamarsh

Built-Up Area: Lamarsh

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Lamarsh Holy Innocents

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Assington

Listing Text

LAMARSH
TL 83 NE
2/57 Edgar's Farmhouse
- II
House. Circa 1500, extended c.1600 and in C19 and C20. Timber framed, roughcast
rendered, roof thatched. 2-bay hall facing SW with late C16 axial chimney stack
in left bay, and storeyed service bay beyond. One-bay extension to right,
c.1600, with end chimney stack. C20 extension at left end, and lean-to
extension to rear of this end, with slate roof. One storey with attics. Plain
boarded door at front of tiled gabled porch, C20, 3 C20 casement windows, and 2
more in eyebrow dormers. The interior has jowled posts, heavy studding, the
original floor of lodged plain joists in the service bay, and an inserted floor
of the late C16 in the hall, with transverse and axial beams chamfered with
lamb's tongue stops. The upper part of the rear hall window survives, with 3 3
diamond mullions, now inside the rear extension. Main hearth lined with modern
brick. Edge-halved and bridled scarf in rear wallplate. Collar-rafter roof,
heavily sooted, with double collar for smoke vent over service end. Some
evidence of a smoke bay before the brick chimney was built in late C16.


Listing NGR: TL8947835422

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.