History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Toppesfield, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0085 / 52°0'30"N

Longitude: 0.5328 / 0°31'58"E

OS Eastings: 573934

OS Northings: 237477

OS Grid: TL739374

Mapcode National: GBR PGB.3HL

Mapcode Global: VHJHR.6S15

Entry Name: Church Farmhouse

Listing Date: 29 August 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1122994

English Heritage Legacy ID: 114496

Location: Toppesfield, Braintree, Essex, CO9

County: Essex

District: Braintree

Civil Parish: Toppesfield

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Toppesfield St Margaret

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Great Yeldham

Listing Text

TL 7337 TOPPESFIELD CHURCH LANE, North Side
6/10 Church Farmhouse

GV II

Guildhall/church house, c.1500, altered in C16 and C19. Timber framed,
plastered, roofed with machine-made red clay tiles. 4 bays aligned approx. NE-
SW, aspect SE. Late C16 axial chimney stack one bay from NE end and C18
internal chimney stack at SW end. Rear stair tower with catslide roof behind
main stack, and single-storey extensions with lean-to roofs to each side of it.
2 storeys. Jettied on front elevation, with 2 plain brackets exposed,
underbuilt in the SW bay. Plain boarded door, 2 C19 casement windows and one
single-hung sash window of 12 lights. First floor, 4 C19 casement windows. The
exterior has C18/19 pargetting in panels with moulded borders. The interior has
one hollow-moulded doorway with 4-centred head in partition wall of SW bay, a
double-ogee moulded axial beam with carved foliate stops, jowled posts, grooves
for sliding shutters on both floors, and an edge-halved and bridled scarf in the
rear wallplate. The upper floor was originally one undivided space of 4 bays,
for public purposes. No access to roof. The pegging of the rear wall indicates
that there was a rear wing originally, which accounts for the narrow span, only
approx. 5 metres. The position, immediately opposite the church, confirms its
original function as a public building. A guild of St. Margaret is recorded in
the 1524 Lay Subsidy (PRO, E.179/108/163 m. 6 d). RCHM 8.


Listing NGR: TL7393437477

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.