This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.0018 / 52°0'6"N
Longitude: 0.5404 / 0°32'25"E
OS Eastings: 574480
OS Northings: 236750
OS Grid: TL744367
Mapcode National: GBR PGB.KFL
Mapcode Global: VHJHR.BY1B
Entry Name: Olivers Farmhouse
Listing Date: 7 August 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1122997
English Heritage Legacy ID: 114506
Location: Toppesfield, Braintree, Essex, CO9
Civil Parish: Toppesfield
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Toppesfield St Margaret
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
TL 73 NW TOPPESFIELD GREAT YELDHAM ROAD
3/19 Olivers Farmhouse
Manor house, late C16, altered in C19 and C20. Timber framed, plastered, roofed
with handmade red clay tiles. 4 bays aligned approx. E-W, aspect N, with
external chimney stacks at W end and to rear of second bay from W. One-bay
service range to rear of E bay, with end chimney stack. 2 storeys and attics.
2 boarded doors with plain lights over, 5 C20 casement windows on ground floor.
On first floor, 3 more, and 2 C19 cast iron casement windows. 3 gabled dormers
with one fixed light and one wrought iron casement in each, late C17/early C18,
and some early glass. The interior has heavy studding and jowled posts. All
the main frame members are chamfered with lamb's tongue stops. In addition,
the central posts of the 2-bay ground floor 'hall' have carved jowled heads.
This room has a binding beam, and twinned bridging beams in each bay, all
moulded, and the joists are of horizontal section, chamfered with bar stops.
The attic floor is original, with chamfered axial beams with lamb's tongue
stops. The roof is of clasped purlin construction with high arched collars
and arched wind bracing. The S ground floor fireplace has been rebuilt; that
above it has an original brick depressed arch. An estate map by John Bowra,
1738, in the possession of George Unwin of Toppesfield Hall, shows the house
with a rear stair tower at the W end of the 'hall', which is confirmed by
structural evidence. The storey heights are exceptional, 2.67 metres on the
ground floor, 2.46 metres on the first floor. A plaster shield of arms found
in the upper W wall is that of the Symonds family of Great Yeldham; Richard
Simon held it in 1627 (Morant). RCHM 14.
Listing NGR: TL7448036750
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings