History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

3, Stoneham Street

A Grade II Listed Building in Coggeshall, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8716 / 51°52'17"N

Longitude: 0.6857 / 0°41'8"E

OS Eastings: 584989

OS Northings: 222638

OS Grid: TL849226

Mapcode National: GBR QKF.L5P

Mapcode Global: VHJJL.T7W1

Entry Name: 3, Stoneham Street

Listing Date: 31 October 1966

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1123095

English Heritage Legacy ID: 116211

Location: Coggeshall, Braintree, Essex, CO6

County: Essex

District: Braintree

Civil Parish: Coggeshall

Built-Up Area: Coggeshall

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Coggeshall with Markshall

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Coggeshall

Listing Text

TL 8422-8522 COGGESHALL STONEHAM STREET
(west side)

9/179 No. 3
31.10.66

GV II

House, now shop and house. Circa 1600 or earlier, altered in C18 and C19.
Timber framed, roughcast rendered, roofed with handmade red plain tiles. 2-bay
range facing NE, with early C19 internal stack at rear of left bay and 2 C19
single-storey rear wings roofed with slate. 2 storeys and attics. Ground
floor, one late C19 splayed bay of sashes of 2-4-2 lights, and another converted
to a shop window. First floor, 2 C18/early C19 sashes of 12 lights. C20 glazed
door to shop, and plain boarded door to foot-passage through at right end.
Chamfered axial beam of heavy section, boxed transverse beams. Most of the
frame is concealed by interior finishes, but at the right end some close
studding is exposed, with a trenched brace of reversed double curvature.
Chamfered axial beams with lamb's tongue and notch stops above the first floor.
Roof rebuilt in gambrel form in C18. The rear stack has bricks engraved with
the initials J.E. and the date 1823.


Listing NGR: TL8498922638

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.