History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Monkwell

A Grade II Listed Building in Coggeshall, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.869 / 51°52'8"N

Longitude: 0.6853 / 0°41'6"E

OS Eastings: 584967

OS Northings: 222345

OS Grid: TL849223

Mapcode National: GBR QKF.S2M

Mapcode Global: VHJJL.T9M1

Entry Name: Monkwell

Listing Date: 31 October 1966

Last Amended: 6 September 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1123109

English Heritage Legacy ID: 116152

Location: Coggeshall, Braintree, Essex, CO6

County: Essex

District: Braintree

Civil Parish: Coggeshall

Built-Up Area: Coggeshall

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Coggeshall with Markshall

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Coggeshall

Listing Text

TL 8422-8522 COGGESHALL GRANGE HILL
(east side)

9/122 No. 1 (Monkwell)
31.10.66

GV II

House and brewery, now a house. C15 and C18, altered c.1900. Timber framed,
plastered, roofed with handmade red plain tiles. Main range facing W, C15 with
C17 stack at right end, originally external, incorporated in C18. Long
crosswing at left end, with external stack to left near front, and one axial
stack, C18. C19 2-storey lean-to extension in rear right angle. Single-storey
lean-to extensions to rear of main range, roofed with red clay pantiles, and to
rear of crosswing, roofed with slate. 2 storeys. Externally the house has been
wholly re-styled c.1900, with casements and one first-floor oriel of that date,
and a half-glazed door in an open porch with hipped roof. The 2 bays at the
right end of the main range have an underbuilt jetty to the front, jowled posts,
wallplates and cambered tiebeam chamfered with step stops, and a crownpost roof
with plain square crownpost and axial bracing. Plain joists of horizontal
section, originally jointed to the rear girt, but raised in C20, without a spine
beam, all elaborately painted on soffits and sides in a chevron design. When
the plaster was removed in 1932 the colours were blue, yellow and red. Since
then they have faded, and the yellow appears white. In rear upper wall, diamond
mortices of an unglazed window, with 2 restored mullions. At right end, curved
tension bracing trenched to the outside of the heavy studding, much weathered,
now within C18 structure. Shown as 'Ye Beerhouse' in a map of 1639 (Essex
Record Office, C/DOp P.1) and as 'Mr. Johnson's factory' in a map of 1827 (Essex
Record Office, D/DU 19/7). In 1851 it was the Silk Works of Goodson and Son,
makers of plush for top hats (J.S. Gardner (ed.), Coggeshall, Essex, 1951, 32).


Listing NGR: TL8496722345

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.