History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Ceders

A Grade II Listed Building in Coggeshall, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8735 / 51°52'24"N

Longitude: 0.6902 / 0°41'24"E

OS Eastings: 585291

OS Northings: 222856

OS Grid: TL852228

Mapcode National: GBR QKF.FBH

Mapcode Global: VHJJL.X58M

Entry Name: The Ceders

Listing Date: 31 October 1966

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1123133

English Heritage Legacy ID: 116106

Location: Coggeshall, Braintree, Essex, CO6

County: Essex

District: Braintree

Civil Parish: Coggeshall

Built-Up Area: Coggeshall

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Coggeshall with Markshall

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Coggeshall

Listing Text

TL 8422-8522 COGGESHALL CHURCH STREET
(south-east side)

9/74 No. 80 (The Cedars)
31.10.66

GV II

Inn and house, now a house. C17 and c.1800, extended in early C20. Timber
framed, plastered, roofed with hand-cut grey slates. C17 range aligned NE-SW
with axial stack one bay from NE end. Parallel range to NW, c.1800, with
internal stack to rear of right part. Early C20 extension to N, projecting
forward of main elevation, and of irregular plan to align with street, with one
internal stack. 2 storeys and belvedere. NW elevation (to street), 2-window
range of original sashes of 12 lights with false flat arches and projecting
keystones, and one sash over door with semi-circular false arch and keystones,
and interlaced Gothick tracery in upper sash. Central 6-panel door, bottom
panels flush, raised ovals in middle panels, top panels glazed, in doorcase with
engaged columns, triglyph frieze and moulded pediment; 4 moulded stone steps
with 2 wrought iron bootscrapers. Long projecting eaves with paired brackets,
hipped roof of shallow pitch with central well. Stacks of gault brick above
roof. Central belvedere, early C20, rectangular with shallow hipped roof,
weatherboarded below continuous glazing, with iron finial. Cast iron railings
along boundary with street, returning to house each side of door and to
connecting brick wall at right end, and connected to projecting extension at
left end; 8 stanchions of cruciform section to right of door, 5 to left of door,
and 2 rails of diamond section. The left extension incorporates an earlier
brick wall to first-floor level. The rear elevation has 3 French windows with
marginal lights and a half-glazed door under a latticed wooden canopy with glass
roof, and 3 first-floor windows similar to those at the front. In the right
return one window on each floor in front of the brick wall is similar to those
at the front. Much original crown glass in all windows. The central entrance-
hall extends through the house, with a richly ornamented semi-circular arch at
the junction of the 2 ranges. The geometrical stair is probably on the site of
an original axial stack, demolished when the house was re-modelled c.1800.
Wreathed and moulded mahogany handrail, stick balusters, scrolled tread-ends,
Gothick niche with fluted jambs and ogee head in upper wall. Moulded 6-panel
mahogany doors to all adjacent rooms. White marble fireplaces, c.1800. Plaster
ceiling cornices. Storey height approximately 3 metres. The rear left room has
an early C18 dado of fielded pine panelling, a C17 oak overmantel, and alcoves
with semi-elliptical arches each side; the cast iron grate is reported to be
introduced from Yorkshire in the late C19. On the first floor of the stair hall
is a plain semi-elliptical arch. Rooms of the rear range have moulded oak
beams; C17 6-panel oak doors. The belvedere incorporates C18 wrought iron
casements, moulded mullions and saddle bars. The rear range survives from The
Green dragon Inn, the remainder demolished in 1809 by Thomas Andrewes, solicitor
(G.F. Beaumont, A History of Coggeshall in Essex, 1890, 237). RCHM 34.


Listing NGR: TL8529122856

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.