This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8633 / 51°51'47"N
Longitude: 0.6595 / 0°39'34"E
OS Eastings: 583215
OS Northings: 221648
OS Grid: TL832216
Mapcode National: GBR QKK.5K7
Mapcode Global: VHJJL.CFZF
Entry Name: Curd Hall
Listing Date: 17 August 1979
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1123140
English Heritage Legacy ID: 116118
Location: Coggeshall, Braintree, Essex, CO6
Civil Parish: Coggeshall
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Coggeshall with Markshall
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
TL 82 SW COGGESHALL CUTHEDGE LANE
5/86 Curd Hall
House. C17, extended in C18 and c.1900. Timber framed, plastered, roofed with
handmade red plain tiles. 5 bays facing N with central stack forming a
lobby-entrance, and original 2-bay wing to rear of left end. Shorter wing to
rear of right end, and lean-to extension beyond, forming a catslide with the
roof of the original wing. Extension to right in stock bricks with red brick
dressings, c.1900. 2 storeys and unlit attics. Ground floor, one early C19
sash of 12 lights, one early C19 tripartite sash of 4-12-4 lights, and 2 C20
casements. First floor, 3 early C19 sashes of 12 lights. Door at side of C20
large gabled porch. One projecting gable over post between 2 left bays, with
moulded bressumer and truncated finial. Jowled posts. Slightly curved tension
braces trenched inside close studding, nailed at the crossings, on upper storey
only. Chamfered axial beams over ground-floor rooms of main range, with lamb's
tongue stops over the left room, unstopped over the right room. The latter has
exposed plain joists of vertical section and C20 brick nogging in the right
wall. Large wood-burning-hearth to left, with rear splays, jambs of 0.33 metre
brickwork, repaired and re-pointed in C20. Large wood-burning hearth facing to
right, with internal recess in rear jamb, and chamfered mantel beam with lamb's
tongue stops, with numerous rushlight burns, and fixing holes for former spit.
In the lobby-entrance the original posts flanking the doorway have been removed,
leaving wattle fixings and mortices, indicating that it was offset to the left,
nearer the parlour. Face-halved and bladed scarf in wallplate above. In the
first-floor rooms of the main range the internal tiebeams are straight and
chamfered, and chamfered bridging beams with lamb's tongue stops are jointed
into them, forming original attic floors. Blocked hearth in left room, small
hearth with rear splays and depressed brick arch in right room. In rear wall of
right room, blocked window of early glazed type, with 2 ovolo-moulded mullions,
2 of 3 diamond saddle bars, and inserted and nailed head. Clasped purlin roof.
The original rear wing has a chamfered binding beam, unstopped, jowled posts
with offset tenons, and a chamfered straight internal tiebeam with runout stops.
Illustrated in RCHM (Little Coggeshall) 4 with 2 projecting gables. The frame
is illustrated in C.A. Hewett, Some East Anglian Prototypes for Early Timber
Houses in America, Post-Medieval Archaeology 3, 1969, 108 and 111, with 2
projecting gables and without the rear wing. In an estate map of 1735 the house
is illustrated as having 3 gables and 2 chimneys (Essex Record Office D/DU
19/4). In the tithe award of 1853 the house was associated with a farm of 190
acres (Essex Record Office D/CT 88).
Listing NGR: TL8321521648
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings