History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Bridge House

A Grade II Listed Building in Coggeshall, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8696 / 51°52'10"N

Longitude: 0.6853 / 0°41'7"E

OS Eastings: 584969

OS Northings: 222413

OS Grid: TL849224

Mapcode National: GBR QKF.L46

Mapcode Global: VHJJL.T8NL

Entry Name: Bridge House

Listing Date: 6 September 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1123156

English Heritage Legacy ID: 116057

Location: Coggeshall, Braintree, Essex, CO6

County: Essex

District: Braintree

Civil Parish: Coggeshall

Built-Up Area: Coggeshall

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Coggeshall with Markshall

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Coggeshall

Listing Text

TL 8422-8522 COGGESHALL BRIDGE STREET
(east side)

9/26 No. 27 (Bridge House)

GV II

House. C18, altered in early C19. Timber framed and plastered, with facade of
gault brick in Flemish bond, roofed with handmade red plain tiles. Rectangular
plan facing W with 2 stacks in each side, and wing to rear right. C19 2-storey
lean-to extension to right. 2 storeys. Ground floor, 2 sashes of 12 lights
with stone lintels inscribed to imitate gauged bricks. First floor, 3 sashes of
12 lights with crown glass. Central 6-panel door, 4 panels glazed, with plain
overlight in doorcase with panelled jambs and soffit, 2 fluted engaged stone
columns and stone architrave with 2 wreaths on frieze; one stone step. Hipped
roof. The right lean-to has one late C19 sash of 12 lights with similar lintel
on each floor, and a stepped parapet. Cast iron railings at front, returning to
house at both ends of main part, with plain bars, floriate terminals, and gate
with octagonal gateposts with bud terminals and scrolled rear stays. Stacks of
red brick, exposed. Yellow brick extension to rear left. Early C19 sashes to
rear of main block and on both sides of rear wing. Central entrance hall with
early C19 quarter-turn stair, wreathed moulded mahogany handrail, 2 mahogany
stick balusters to each tread, reeded mahogany newel and scrolled tread ends;
original mahogany gate at top. Semi-elliptical arch to right. Formerly
associated with Little Coggeshall Brewery to rear left (item 9/25). Illustrated
by J. Greig in Excursions through Essex, 1818 and recorded in a map of 1832
(Essex Record Office, D/DBs).


Listing NGR: TL8496922413

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.