History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Saunders

A Grade II Listed Building in Coggeshall, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8721 / 51°52'19"N

Longitude: 0.6876 / 0°41'15"E

OS Eastings: 585117

OS Northings: 222695

OS Grid: TL851226

Mapcode National: GBR QKF.LNW

Mapcode Global: VHJJL.V6WP

Entry Name: Saunders

Listing Date: 2 May 1953

Last Amended: 6 September 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1123163

English Heritage Legacy ID: 116072

Location: Coggeshall, Braintree, Essex, CO6

County: Essex

District: Braintree

Civil Parish: Coggeshall

Built-Up Area: Coggeshall

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Coggeshall with Markshall

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Coggeshall

Listing Text

TL 8422-8522 COGGESHALL CHURCH STREET
(north-west side)

9/41 No. 27 (Saunders)
2.5.53 (formerly listed as
Premises 50 yds south
west of London House)

GV II

House. C16, altered in C18, C19 and C20. Timber framed, plastered with exposed
framing at the front, roofed with handmade red plain tiles. 2-bay range facing
SE. 2-bay wing to rear of left bay, with stack at the junction. Early C19 wing
to right rear with internal stack at right, and 2-storey lean-to extension
filling the space between this and left rear wing, both roofed with slate. Long
single-storey lean-to extension beyond right wing, roofed with slate. 2
storeys. Ground floor, 2 early C19 sashes, originally of 4-12-4 lights, each
lower central sash altered to one light. First floor, 2 C18/early C19 sashes of
12 lights with crown glass. Near-central C20 door with 2-centred head.
Continuous jetty, moulded fascia covering ends of joists of horizontal section.
Moulded jetty plate with 2 plain sections, partly mutilated. At left end,
attached shaft with carved capital and hollow-chamfered bracket. At right end,
one plain-chamfered bracket, and evidence of former attached shaft below. All
or most of the studding of the lower storey is replaced; 2 introduced brackets
beside door. Most of the studding of the upper storey is original up to window
sill height, renewed above. Moulded wallplate. The pattern of moulded and
plain areas indicates that originally there was a oriel below the jetty to left
of the door, and possibly a 2-storey porch. The Provisional List of April 1960
reported a Doric doorcase, removed in major alterations of 1960-1, and dated the
C18 alterations to c.1737, the evidence for which is not now apparent. The
framing was probably exposed in the same operation. Chamfered axial beams with
plain stops above ground floor, moulded transverse and axial beams with lamb's
tongue stops above first floor, both with plain joists of horizontal section.
C19 hearth in front of left stack, C20 hearth to rear. Linenfold panelling
incorporating a panel with a carved and painted shield bearing a merchant's mark
and the initials I.S. was reported by the RCHM as in the rear wing and as being
original; it is now at the left end of the front wing, and incorporates some C19
reproduction work. Roof of main range rebuilt with ridge. The rear left wing
has plain joists of horizontal section, unjowled posts, unchamfered tiebeams
(reported as chamfered by RCHM), and a roof with high trenched collars; no
visible evidence of crownposts. In the right rear wing, on the upper floor, is
an early C19 fluted fire surround with paterae. The dating of this building is
problematical, but the detail of the upper storey of the main range is similar
to that of nos. 52 and 54, Church Street (item 9/66, q.v.) and is probably of
similar date, 1565, or later. The carved capital of the lower storey suggests
an early C16 origin. The initials on the carved panelling have been variously
identified as of John Saunders (J.S. Gardner (ed.), Coggeshall, Essex, 1951, 34)
or John Sparhawk (F.A. Girling, English Merchants' Marks, 1964). Gardner states
that this is part of the former Great House. RCHM 16.


Listing NGR: TL8511422698

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.