History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Priory Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Earls Colne, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9284 / 51°55'42"N

Longitude: 0.6967 / 0°41'48"E

OS Eastings: 585512

OS Northings: 228982

OS Grid: TL855289

Mapcode National: GBR QJV.2YY

Mapcode Global: VHKFP.1S5J

Entry Name: Priory Farmhouse

Listing Date: 10 April 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1123216

English Heritage Legacy ID: 115900

Location: Earls Colne, Braintree, Essex, CO6

County: Essex

District: Braintree

Civil Parish: Earls Colne

Built-Up Area: Earls Colne

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Earls Colne St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Earls Colne

Listing Text

TL 8428-8528 EARLS COLNE COLNE GREEN
(north side)

8/52 Priory Farmhouse

GV II


House. Mid-C16, mid-C17 and early C19, altered in C20. Timber framed,
roughcast rendered, roofed with handmade red plain tiles. Mid-C16 middle range
facing S, mid-C17 wing at right end extending forwards, early C19 wing at left
end extending forwards, forming a half-H plan. Axial stack at right end of
middle range, external stack to rear of left wing. Lean-to conservatory to left
of Left wing, single-storey extension with hipped roof to rear of right-wing. 2
storeys. Ground floor, one C20 casement and one C18 sash of 12 lights. First
floor, 2 C20 casements. No windows at front of left wing. 6-panel door, the
upper 4 panels glazed, with simple flat canopy. Recessed panel with inscribed
date 1835 in right stack. Stop-chamfered beams, moulded joists with vine-leaf
carving. Original fireplaces. Roofs of main range rebuilt in C19. The name is
misleading, for this was a copyhold tenement of the Earldom manor, the main
range probably built for Joan, second wife of Thomas Rolte in 1540.


Listing NGR: TL8551228982

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.