History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Boundary Wall to South,east and North East of Colne Priory

A Grade II* Listed Building in Earls Colne, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9265 / 51°55'35"N

Longitude: 0.7117 / 0°42'42"E

OS Eastings: 586548

OS Northings: 228807

OS Grid: TL865288

Mapcode National: GBR QJW.0S1

Mapcode Global: VHKFP.9V30

Entry Name: Boundary Wall to South,east and North East of Colne Priory

Listing Date: 21 June 1962

Last Amended: 10 April 1987

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1123234

English Heritage Legacy ID: 115944

Location: Earls Colne, Braintree, Essex, CO6

County: Essex

District: Braintree

Civil Parish: Earls Colne

Built-Up Area: Earls Colne

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Earls Colne St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Earls Colne

Listing Text

TL 8628-8728 EARLS COLNE LOWER HOLT STREET
(north side)

9/96 Boundary wall to south, east
21.6.62 and north east of Colne
Priory (Formerly listed as
Boundary Wall at Colne
Priory)

GV II*

Wall. Early C15, repaired in late C16 and mid-C17. Red brick in transitional
header bond, with some stretches in English and Flemish bonds. The face along
Lower Holt Street has 4 C20 buttresses and a small C19 doorway with 2-centred
head. The return at the NE end, adjacent to River House (item 9/97, q.v.) is
C17 and later, with dropped sections having C19 iron railings. The return at
the SW end, adjacent to Priory Cottage (item 9/l16, q.v.) has original lower
work and C20 rebuilding above. This section has a small door of C16 panels with
2-centred head, stepped gable over, and early C15 stone niche above door.
Documentary evidence from court rolls that the wall was built originally in 1426
by John Breteman, and John and Henry Dockeman, and repaired between 1583 and
1592, and in mid-C17. RCHM 3.


Listing NGR: TL8654828807

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.