History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Elms Hall Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Colne Engaine, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9364 / 51°56'11"N

Longitude: 0.6722 / 0°40'20"E

OS Eastings: 583795

OS Northings: 229805

OS Grid: TL837298

Mapcode National: GBR QJM.GS0

Mapcode Global: VHJJ6.LLRF

Entry Name: Elms Hall Farmhouse

Listing Date: 10 April 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1123243

English Heritage Legacy ID: 115860

Location: Colne Engaine, Braintree, Essex, CO6

County: Essex

District: Braintree

Civil Parish: Colne Engaine

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Colne Engaine St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Earls Colne

Listing Text

TL 82 NW COLNE ENGAINE ELMS HALL ROAD
(north side)

5/11 Elms Hall Farmhouse

GV II

House. Circa 1600, altered in C18 and C19. Timber framed, mainly plastered,
with facade of painted brick in Flemish bond, roofed with handmade red clay
tiles. Main range originally facing E. Extended to W in C18, forming a square
plan, but now with the main elevation to the S, a front range with an external
stack at each end, with 2 rear wings. Lean-to ancillary building to N with
slate roof, incorporated in house in C20. 2 storeys. 2-window range of late
C19 sashes of 4 lights, in earlier apertures with gauged flat arches, and
central sash of 4 lights over door with semi-circular head. Late C19 4-panel
door, the upper panels glazed, and fanlight with cast iron radial tracery,
attached reeded columns, and dentilled open pediment, all early C19. In the
right return one C18 sash of 12 lights, and C20 sashes. Shaped sprockets under
eaves. Roof hipped at rear. The original main range has moulded axial beams
(partly boxed in), and moulded joists of vertical section with lamb's tongue
stops. Open well stair with wreathed handrail and stick balusters, c.1800. On
the first floor are 2 C18 borrowed lights over doors, one of which has leaded
diamond panes of handmade glass with the inscription 'Thos Baker of Colne
Engaine, Essex'. One C17 pine door on ground floor, and one early C18 pine door
on first floor, the latter with re-sited cockshead hinges.


Listing NGR: TL8379529805

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.