History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Northys

A Grade II Listed Building in Wethersfield, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.932 / 51°55'55"N

Longitude: 0.5339 / 0°32'2"E

OS Eastings: 574307

OS Northings: 228978

OS Grid: TL743289

Mapcode National: GBR PH3.XF7

Mapcode Global: VHJJ4.6PMS

Entry Name: Northys

Listing Date: 16 October 1981

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1123310

English Heritage Legacy ID: 115710

Location: Wethersfield, Braintree, Essex, CM7

County: Essex

District: Braintree

Civil Parish: Wethersfield

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Wethersfield St Mary Magdalene

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Gosfield

Listing Text

TL 72 NW WETHERSFIELD PARKHALL ROAD, BEAZLEY
END (south side)

3/198 Northys
16.10.81

- II

House. Early C16 or earlier, altered c.1600 and in C20. Timber framed,
plastered, roofed with handmade red clay tiles. 4 bays facing approx. NE,
comprising 2-bay hall with stack in right bay against rear wall, parlour/solar
bay to left, service bay to right. Small C20 extension to front with catslide
roof. One storey with attics. NE elevation, 3 C20 casements and C20 door. SW
elevation, 5 C20 casements and one more in gabled dormer. Original sprockets
below eaves at front and back. Jowled posts, heavy studding, doorway to NE (now
within extension) with 3-centred arched head. The SE (parlour/solar) bay is
originally storeyed, with lodged joists slightly raised at end and plastered to
the soffits, the present stair probably in the original stair trap. The
originally storeyed service bay has a chamfered axial beam, joists plastered to
the soffits, rebated floorboards, c.1600. The hall has a cambered central
tiebeam with chamfered arched braces, and at the 'high' end, curved display
bracing trenched into heavy studs, and the original doorway into the parlour
with plain straight head and severed draught screen, diamond mortices and
rebates for unglazed windows. The stack comprises a timber framed chimney with
mantel bean jointed and pegged into post at side, lined with bricks c.1600; the
timber structure does not continue above tiebeam level. The inserted floor
consists of a chamfered axial beam with plain joists of horizontal section
supported on pegged clamps, and rebated boards, c.1600. Edge-halved and bridled
scarfs in wallplates. Roof of collar-rafter construction, smoke-blackened in
the hall only. Tiebeam between hall and service bay removed. The RCHM (46)
reported a N wing added c.1700, now gone.


Listing NGR: TL7430728978

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.