History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Abbot's Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Shalford, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9214 / 51°55'17"N

Longitude: 0.5155 / 0°30'55"E

OS Eastings: 573080

OS Northings: 227756

OS Grid: TL730277

Mapcode National: GBR PH8.K50

Mapcode Global: VHJJ3.WYDX

Entry Name: Abbot's Hall

Listing Date: 19 March 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1123370

English Heritage Legacy ID: 115554

Location: Shalford, Braintree, Essex, CM7

County: Essex

District: Braintree

Civil Parish: Shalford

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Shalford St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Gosfield

Listing Text

TL 72 NW SHALFORD BRAINTREE ROAD
(west side)

3/35 Abbot's Hall

GV II

House. Early C19, extended in late C19 and early C20. Gault brick in Flemish
bond, slate roofs. Double pile plan facing NW, with side stacks. Large service
range to right, set slightly forward, with internal stack, 1879. Square
ballroom extension to left, also set slightly forward, 1920. Single storey
extensions to right and right rear, c.1880. Main range and ballroom extension
of 2 storeys, service range of same height but in 3 storeys. Main range,
5-window range of original sashes of 12 lights with flat brick arches. Service
range, 3-window range of sashes, various types. Ballroom extension, 2-window
range of sashes of 12 lights. Central half-glazed double doors and overlight,
Greek Doric portico. Each range roofed separately, low-pitched and hipped, the
original house having long projecting eaves with panelled soffits. The SE
(garden) elevation has 4 pairs of French windows with original louvred shutters,
and a wrought iron canopy with glass roof. Rainwater heads of service range
dated 1879. The entrance hall has the original floor of stone flags with diaper
design in slate, 2 semi-elliptical arches with panelled soffits, and original
side door (now to the service range) with semi-elliptical fanlight and radial
tracery. Original stair of stone treads with scrolled ends, cast iron balusters
and mahogany wreathed handrail. All original 6-panel doors, some with reeded
architraves, folding shutters and skirtings.


Listing NGR: TL7308027756

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.