History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Sparrows Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Terling, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8018 / 51°48'6"N

Longitude: 0.5424 / 0°32'32"E

OS Eastings: 575397

OS Northings: 214521

OS Grid: TL753145

Mapcode National: GBR PJN.ZYM

Mapcode Global: VHJJQ.CZ33

Entry Name: Sparrows Farmhouse

Listing Date: 13 March 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1123386

English Heritage Legacy ID: 115499

Location: Terling, Braintree, Essex, CM3

County: Essex

District: Braintree

Civil Parish: Terling

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Terling All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Terling

Listing Text

TL 71 SE TERLING SPARROWS FARM ROAD
(north side)

5/151 Sparrows Farmhouse

GV II

House. Early C17, altered in C18 and C20. Timber framed, plastered, roofed
with handmade red clay tiles. 3 bays facing SW with central stack, forming a
lobby-entrance. 2-bay rear wing at right end. C19 and C20 extensions in N
angle. C20 extension to left of main range. 2 storeys with attics. Ground
floor, 3 C20 sashes. First floor, 2 early C19 sashes of 12 and 16 lights
respectively, with crown glass, and 2 C20 sashes. Attic, one C20 sash. Late
C16 door with ovolo-moulded and riveted grid on outside, possibly introduced, in
original 2-storey porch. On main stack, 3 richly ornamented round shafts,
original, and one plain octagonal shaft. Jowled posts. Ovolo-moulded axial and
transverse beams with lamb's tongue stops. On first floor, original fireplace
facing to left with moulded plaster jambs and depressed arch, and plain
Victorian cast iron grate. In equivalent hearth facing to right, ornate
Victorian cast iron grate. This became a freehold farm of 80 acres in 1611, and
the present house probably dates from then. It became copyhold of the manor of
Terling Hall in 1703, and was bought by John Strutt in 1761 (Essex Record
Office, D/DRa T.73). RCHM 27.


Listing NGR: TL7539714521

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.