History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Wat Hobbs Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Gamble's Green, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8052 / 51°48'18"N

Longitude: 0.5507 / 0°33'2"E

OS Eastings: 575952

OS Northings: 214912

OS Grid: TL759149

Mapcode National: GBR PJP.VCN

Mapcode Global: VHJJQ.HWHJ

Entry Name: Wat Hobbs Farmhouse

Listing Date: 13 March 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1123393

English Heritage Legacy ID: 115516

Location: Terling, Braintree, Essex, CM3

County: Essex

District: Braintree

Civil Parish: Terling

Built-Up Area: Gamble's Green

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Terling All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Terling

Listing Text

TERLING WAT HOBBS LANE
TL 71 SE
(north side)
5/168 Wat Hobbs Farmhouse

- II

House. Mid-C16, altered in C18 and C20. Timber framed, plastered, roofed with
handmade red clay tiles. 3 bays facing S with axial stack in right bay, and C20
external stacks to left and rear of left bay. Single-storey lean-to extension
to rear. C18 one-bay extension to right, with C20 extension to rear and end
stack. 2 storeys. 4-window range of early C19 sashes of 16 lights with crown
glass. C20 half-glazed door with gabled hood in line with internal stack. Roof
hipped at left end. Jowled posts, close studding. In left bay, plain joists of
horizontal section arranged longitudinally, partly plastered to the soffits, and
original floorboards. In middle bay, chamfered axial beam with step stops. Rear
storey post between middle and right bays severed for inserted doorway, tiebeam
moved to right. Large wood-burning hearth facing left blocked, C18 hearth
facing right reduced for C20 grate, upper part of stack rebuilt in C18.
Unsooted crownpost roof with original gablet hip at left (altered to a plain hip
externally in the C18), axial bracing, right part of collar-purlin replaced in
softwood. Edge-halved and bridled scarf in front wallplate. This holding, with
only 5 acres, is mentioned under the present name in a rental of 1475. It is
recorded in indentures of 1605, 1626 and 1651 as having 24 acres (Essex Record
Office, DIDM M.169 and D/DRa T.132).


Listing NGR: TL7595214912

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.