History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Cottage

A Grade II Listed Building in Panfield, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8966 / 51°53'47"N

Longitude: 0.5224 / 0°31'20"E

OS Eastings: 573652

OS Northings: 225014

OS Grid: TL736250

Mapcode National: GBR PHP.0WQ

Mapcode Global: VHJJB.0LJD

Entry Name: The Cottage

Listing Date: 19 March 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1123401

English Heritage Legacy ID: 115533

Location: Panfield, Braintree, Essex, CM7

County: Essex

District: Braintree

Civil Parish: Panfield

Built-Up Area: Panfield

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Panfield St Mary and St Christopher

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Braintree

Listing Text

TL 7225-7325 PANFIELD HALL ROAD
(north side)
7/11 The Cottage

_ II

House. C15 or earlier, altered in C16, C17 and C20. Timber framed, roughcast
rendered, roof thatched. 2-bay hall facing S, with stack at left end,
originally storeyed parlour/solar bay to right with C19 external stack at end,
and C20 single-storey lean-to extension beyond. At left, late C17 2-bay
extension, with hearth backing on to earlier stack. C20 flat-roofed extension
to rear. One storey with attics. 3 C18 2-light windows each with one wrought
iron casement and diamond leading, one smaller C18 fixed light at half-height,
one C20 casement, and 2 similar 2-light windows in gabled dormers, one C18, one
C17. At the sides and back there are 4 more C18 windows of similar type, mainly
in their original positions. Door at front of gabled porch, C20. Jowled posts,
heavy studding, 3 diamond mortises and shutter groove for unglazed window to
solar in right end wall. Late C16 inserted floor in hall comprising chamfered
transverse and longitudinal beams with lamb's tongue stops, and plain joists of
horizontal section supported on pegged clamps. Crownpost roof, central tiebeam
and crownpost missing, one axial brace in situ at right end, and wide
down-bracing, incomplete display bracing, and original wattle and daub with
diaper patterns on both sides. The hearth facing to right is blocked, mantel
beam only exposed; bread oven within original hearth, iron door in situ but
blocked, modern access. The hearth facing to left has an aperture for an
external bread oven, removed; the mantel beam is carved with 3 shields of arms
and dates 1347, 1510 and 1660, of unknown origin, probably C19/C20. The left
extension has chamfered beams with runout stops and thin joists. 2 features
suggest an origin for the hall house earlier than the C15 - the very wide and
conspicuous bracing at the high end of the hall, and the fact that every roof
collar is pegged to the collar- purlin. Examination of the scarfs in the
wallplates would be necessary to confirm a C14 origin, and these are concealed
by splints on the inside and plaster on the outside.


Listing NGR: TL7365225014

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.