History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Wall North East and South of the Vicarage

A Grade II Listed Building in Hatfield Peverel, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7687 / 51°46'7"N

Longitude: 0.6034 / 0°36'12"E

OS Eastings: 579734

OS Northings: 210982

OS Grid: TL797109

Mapcode National: GBR QLN.3CC

Mapcode Global: VHJJY.DTW0

Entry Name: Wall North East and South of the Vicarage

Listing Date: 13 March 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1123427

English Heritage Legacy ID: 115397

Location: Hatfield Peverel, Braintree, Essex, CM3

County: Essex

District: Braintree

Civil Parish: Hatfield Peverel

Built-Up Area: Hatfield Peverel

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Hatfield Peverel St Andrew with Ulting All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Witham

Listing Text

TL 71 SE and TL 7811-7911 HATFIELD PEVEREL CHURCH ROAD
(south side)

5/56 and 12/56 Wall north, east and
south of The Vicarage

GV II

Garden wall. Red brick in various bonds. C17, altered in C18. Extends approx.
55 metres E from St. Andrew's Church, turns S for approx. 35 metres, then W for
approx. 80 metres. C20 gateway near W end of N wall, blocked gateway near W end
of S wall. One square pier in S wall. The N and E walls are C17 to a height
of approx. 1.5 metres, raised to approx. 3 metres in C18. The S wall is mainly
C18, height approx. 3.5 metres. 3 bee boles in the N wall, one in the E wall, 3
in the S wall, facing inwards, all with arched heads, of various sizes and
heights above ground, blocked. A house called Hatfield Priory was built against
the W wall of the church soon after the Dissolution, and demolished c.1770. The
older parts of the wall enclosed its east garden. Shown in estate map by
Richard Woods, 1765, in Essex Record Office. Included for group value.


Listing NGR: TL7973410982

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.