History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Little Crix

A Grade II Listed Building in Hatfield Peverel, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7721 / 51°46'19"N

Longitude: 0.578 / 0°34'40"E

OS Eastings: 577963

OS Northings: 211307

OS Grid: TL779113

Mapcode National: GBR PK3.WFB

Mapcode Global: VHJJX.YQXB

Entry Name: Little Crix

Listing Date: 13 March 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1123429

English Heritage Legacy ID: 115403

Location: Hatfield Peverel, Braintree, Essex, CM3

County: Essex

District: Braintree

Civil Parish: Hatfield Peverel

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Hatfield Peverel St Andrew with Ulting All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Terling

Listing Text

TL 71 SE HATFIELD PEVEREL LONDON ROAD
(south side)

5/62 Little Crix

- II

House. C.1600, altered in C20. Timber framed, partly plastered, partly faced
with painted brick in Flemish bond, roofed with handmade red clay tiles. 4 bays
facing W with C18 axial stack one bay from right end. C20 parallel range to
rear. 2 lean-to extensions with slate roofs extending at right angles to rear.
2 storeys. Ground floor, 2 early C20 bays, 3 C20 casements. First floor, one
early C19 sash of 9 lights, 3 C20 sashes. Roofs hipped at left end, gabled at
right. In left return, one early C19 sash of 12 lights on ground floor, and one
of 9 lights on first floor. Chamfered axial beams. On first floor, Art Nouveau
fireplace of carved wood and cast iron installed at time of major alterations in
1906. Roof destroyed by fire except close-studded gable at right end, charred
but intact. It is likely that the original stack was in the second bay from the
left end, forming a lobby-entrance, removed in the C18 to form an entrance hall.
RCHM 4.


Listing NGR: TL7796311307

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.