This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9477 / 51°56'51"N
Longitude: 0.4354 / 0°26'7"E
OS Eastings: 567473
OS Northings: 230489
OS Grid: TL674304
Mapcode National: GBR NFG.WD1
Mapcode Global: VHJJ2.H9JR
Entry Name: Town House Cottages
Listing Date: 21 December 1967
Last Amended: 17 May 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1123474
English Heritage Legacy ID: 115310
Location: Great Bardfield, Braintree, Essex, CM7
Civil Parish: Great Bardfield
Built-Up Area: Great Bardfield
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Great Bardfield St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
TL 6730 GREAT BARDFIELD HIGH STREET
8/171 Town House Cottages
21.12.67 (Formerly listed as Nos.1 and
2 Town House Cottages)
House. Circa 1500 and C19, altered in 1984. Timber framed, plastered, roofed
with handmade red clay tiles. At the time of survey, July 1984, 2 cottages were
being converted into one house. The left cottage comprises the service bay and
the 2 lower bays of a 3-bay hall of a house, c.1500, facing SE, with an inserted
internal stack at the left end against the rear wall. The right cottage was
built in the Cl9, with a central stack which does not appear above roof level.
2 single-storey lean-to extensions at rear, C19. One storey, cellar and attics.
2 C20 casements, one Cl9 horizontally sliding sash of 24 lights, 4 C20 casements
in gabled dormers with C19 fretted and pierced bargeboards and finials. One 4-
panel door with upper panels glazed, one boarded door with small glazed pane,
double doors to garage in right bay. Stack at left end, behind ridge, with 4
octagonal shafts. The left dormer bears the date 1609 painted on the plaster.
The left door is on the site of the original door of the medieval house, and the
back door is on the site of the original back door. To the right the low end
partition of the hall is almost complete, with twin doorways with moulded jambs
and 4-centred heads, and heavy studding. The bay to the right retains the
original lodged floor of longitudinal plain joists of horizontal section, the
axial partition removed. The partition between the screens passage and the main
part of the hall has been removed, and there is a late C16 inserted floor with
longitudinal joists of horizontal section, and original boards. Large wood-
burning hearth. On the first floor there is a rebate for the shutters of the
hall window in the front wallplate, and a crownpost above the service doors with
axial bracing. Above ceiling level the collars and rafters of the hall are
smoke-blackened. The 'high end' bay of the hall is now part of Town House, to
the left (q.v.), and a rear wing of c.1600, also now part of Town House,
overlaps the left end of this property and was served by the same stack. The
date 1609 could relate to the insertion of the dormer in the upper part of the
hall (the Walker maps in Essex Record Office show that dormers appear after
1600). RCHM 25.
Listing NGR: TL6747330489
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings