History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Ffuleslo

A Grade II Listed Building in Finchingfield, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9704 / 51°58'13"N

Longitude: 0.4759 / 0°28'33"E

OS Eastings: 570174

OS Northings: 233104

OS Grid: TL701331

Mapcode National: GBR PGN.F4M

Mapcode Global: VHJHX.6QGW

Entry Name: Ffuleslo

Listing Date: 17 May 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1123486

English Heritage Legacy ID: 115236

Location: Finchingfield, Braintree, Essex, CM7

County: Essex

District: Braintree

Civil Parish: Finchingfield

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Finchingfield St John Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Finchingfield

Listing Text

TL 73 SW FINCHINGFIELD TOPPESFIELD ROAD
(east side)

4/94 Ffuleslo

II

Wrongly shown on OS map as Foulslough Farm. House. C16, altered in C20. Timber
framed, plastered, roofed with handmade red clay tiles. 4 bays facing N, with
axial stack. Crosswing at E end, c.1930. Single-storey lean-to extension along
front, C20. One storey with attics. Ground floor, 2 bow windows and 2
casements, all C20. First floor, one C20 casement and one more in gabled
dormer. Door in C20 gabled porch, C20. The interior has jowled posts, heavy
studding with curved braces trenched to the inside, chamfered axial beams, plain
joists of horizontal section supported on pegged clamps. Internal tiebeams
severed or missing. The internal truss near the W end had no tiebeam
originally, but a half-height collar, which remains in situ, and implies that
the 2 W bays were storeyed from the outset, although the present floor there is
not original. Roof E of the stack rebuilt, W part inaccessible. Occupied by
John Gielgud, actor, 1933-35. The present name is an archaic spelling of
Foulslough.


Listing NGR: TL7017433104

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.