History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Great Lodge

A Grade II* Listed Building in Great Bardfield, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9342 / 51°56'2"N

Longitude: 0.4631 / 0°27'47"E

OS Eastings: 569429

OS Northings: 229048

OS Grid: TL694290

Mapcode National: GBR PH0.PX2

Mapcode Global: VHJJ2.ZN54

Entry Name: Great Lodge

Listing Date: 2 May 1953

Last Amended: 17 May 1985

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1123499

English Heritage Legacy ID: 115265

Location: Great Bardfield, Braintree, Essex, CM7

County: Essex

District: Braintree

Civil Parish: Great Bardfield

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Great Bardfield St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Finchingfield

Listing Text

TL 62 NE GREAT BARDFIELD BRAINTREE ROAD
(east side)

5/126 Great Lodge
2.5.53 (Formerly listed as Great
Lodge with Stables)
GV II*

House. Early C17. Red brick in English bond, roofed with handmade red clay
tiles. L-plan, with single-span wings extending to N and E. Axial stack in N
wing, internal stack at junction against S elevation, C19 internal stack further
E against S elevation, blocking an original window. Single-storey lean-to
extension against E elevation of N wing, with hipped slate roof. 2 storeys and
attics. W elevation, ground floor, one early C19 tripartite sash of 4-12-4
lights, one early C19 sash of 24 lights. First floor, 4 early C19 sashes of 12
lights. One plain door, one half-glazed door with moulded architrave, early
C19. String at first floor level consisting of 2 moulded brick bands, the upper
protected by inclined red clay tiles, with a plain band between which originally
had a raised strapwork design in plaster. The same string continues all round
the building, with traces of the original plaster strapwork on the N elevation
of the E wing. The E wing originally continued, but was truncated c.1950, and
the string reproduced at that end. 4 octagonal shafts on the main S stack,
grouped diagonal shafts on the N stack, truncated. At each side of the NE
corner there is a low blind arch, originally for a sunken open dairy or well-
house. In the E elevation at first floor level, 2 C17 3-light windows with
wrought iron casements, restored. The interior has high ceilings at both
Levels, an early C19 oval stair with stick balusters, re-sited C17 panelling,
double butt-purlin roof. It was built 1621-3 by Sir Martin Lomelin or Lumley,
who became Lord Mayor of London in 1623, as the service range of a house which
stood further to the S, demolished c.1729. RCHM 3.


Listing NGR: TL6942929048

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.