History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The White Hart Inn

A Grade II Listed Building in Kelvedon, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8336 / 51°50'0"N

Longitude: 0.6973 / 0°41'50"E

OS Eastings: 585944

OS Northings: 218435

OS Grid: TL859184

Mapcode National: GBR QKT.WNM

Mapcode Global: VHKG8.15HQ

Entry Name: The White Hart Inn

Listing Date: 21 December 1967

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1123787

English Heritage Legacy ID: 116506

Location: Kelvedon, Braintree, Essex, CO5

County: Essex

District: Braintree

Civil Parish: Kelvedon

Built-Up Area: Kelvedon

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Kelvedon St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Rivenhall

Listing Text

KELVEDON HIGH STREET
TL 8418-8518 (south-east side)

9/198 No. 2 (The White Hart
21.12.67 Inn)

GV II

2 houses combined,now a public house. Early C19 and c.1600 respectively, both
extended in C19. Timber framed, painted brick and plaster, roofed with handmade
red plain tiles. House to left, of T-plan with central stack, early C19, mainly
of painted brick. C19 catslide extension to right of rear wing, and late C19
2-storey lean-to extension to left of rear wing, roofed with slate, completing a
rectangular plan. 2 storeys and cellar. House to right, single range of 3 bays
with central stack, timber framed and plastered, c.1600. C19 lean-to extension
to rear, mainly of painted brick, roofed with red clay corrugated tiles. 2
storeys. Both face NW, abut together and are connected internally. House to
left, ground floor, 2 late C19 tripartite sashes of 2-4-2 lights; first floor, 4
late C19 sashes of 4 lights and one blind aperture at right end. 2 recessed
6-panel doors, 4 panels glazed, both with simple moulded architraves; that on
the right has a pulvinated frieze and moulded pediment. Plain band at first
floor. Plaster moulded eaves cornice with bracketed corbels. Roof hipped at
left end. To rear, early C19 half-glazed door with 9 lights and crown glass.
House to right, ground floor, one early C19 sash of 10 + 10 lights, one C20
replica; first floor, 2 C19 casements. A photograph in RCHM shows it with 4 or
5 truncated octagonal shafts, but now only 2 tubular flues emerge from the roof,
behind the ridge. Interior of ground floor much altered. In right house,
chamfered transverse and axial beams with lamb's tongue stops. Wood-burning
hearth with replaced mantel beam, brickwork disturbed. RCHM 15.


Listing NGR: TL8594418435

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.