History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Felix Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Kelvedon, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8434 / 51°50'36"N

Longitude: 0.6792 / 0°40'45"E

OS Eastings: 584655

OS Northings: 219483

OS Grid: TL846194

Mapcode National: GBR QKS.BKJ

Mapcode Global: VHJJL.QXFQ

Entry Name: Felix Hall

Listing Date: 10 April 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1123797

English Heritage Legacy ID: 116532

Location: Kelvedon, Braintree, Essex, CO5

County: Essex

District: Braintree

Civil Parish: Kelvedon

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Kelvedon St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Rivenhall

Listing Text

KELVEDON HOLLOW ROAD
TL 81 NW (north side)

5/235 Felix Hall
10.4.87

GV II

Mansion. C18, reduced in size in 1939, severely damaged by fire in 1940. Red
brick in Flemish bond, formerly stuccoed, now mainly exposed, unroofed.
Rectangular range facing SE. 2 storeys and basement. SE elevation, 2:3:2
window range of open apertures. Large tetrastyle Ionic portico and 10 stone
steps. Open entrance with 2 engaged columns and 2 pilasters, entablature and
pediment. Above it, 3 window apertures divided by engaged Ionic columns, and 2
pilasters. NW (garden) elevation, ground floor, 3 sashes of 6 lights and 2
blocked apertures. First floor, 2:5:2 window range of open apertures; the
middle window has stone jambs and semi-circular head. Blocked central doorway
with stone doorcase and shallow canopy. 2 engaged giant columns, 2 giant
pilasters, and pediment with blank panel. 6 plain stone steps and 2
semi-circular stone steps with moulded lips. One blocked basement window
aperture to each side of steps. Walls extend to left and right, representing
the basement storey of the wings demolished in 1939, each with 2 blocked window
apertures and a plain stone band. Part of the ground floor and basement at the
NE end are occupied as a house, with a flat roof. Built c.1715 for Sir Anthony
Abdy, enlarged c.1750 for Charles Callis Western. Wings demolished in 1939 by
Geoffrey Houghton Brown (B.L. Kentish, Kelvedon and its Antiquities, 1974,
28-30; Plate 1 is a photograph taken in 1865 from the E). Other photographs
taken c.1865 from the E and NW are reproduced in Simon Houfe, 'A Household
Preserved', Country Life, 27 May 1976, 1430. An engraving of the house from the
E in 1832 is reproduced in Virtue's Picturesque Beauties of Great Britain, 1833,
56.


Listing NGR: TL8465519483

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.