History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Grey's Mill

A Grade II Listed Building in Kelvedon, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8315 / 51°49'53"N

Longitude: 0.6994 / 0°41'57"E

OS Eastings: 586098

OS Northings: 218210

OS Grid: TL860182

Mapcode National: GBR QL0.3NH

Mapcode Global: VHKG8.27M9

Entry Name: Grey's Mill

Listing Date: 25 June 1974

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1123806

English Heritage Legacy ID: 116554

Location: Kelvedon, Braintree, Essex, CO5

County: Essex

District: Braintree

Civil Parish: Kelvedon

Built-Up Area: Kelvedon

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Kelvedon St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Rivenhall

Listing Text

KELVEDON MALDON ROAD
TL 8618-8718 (east side)

10/257 Grey's Mill
25.6.74

GV II

Water and steam mill, now warehouse. 1858. Painted brick in English bond. 5
bays aligned NE-SW, and engine house of 3 narrow parallel ranges aligned NE-SW
to SE. Mill of 4.storeys and loft, engine house of one storey. SW elevation of
mill, 2 windows on ground and first floors, 3 on second floor, one on third
floor, all original cast iron casements of 12 lights with cast iron lintels.
Large semi-circular cast iron casement in loft. C20 double doors on ground
floor, original double loading doors on first floor. Corner giant pilasters and
2 giant pilasters in each return, with simple brick capitals and bases. The
left elevation has 5 similar windows on the ground and second floors, 4 similar
windows and central double loading doors on the first floor, no windows on the
third floor. Low-pitched roof with long overhangs. The engine house has 3
original cast iron casements with semi-circular heads; the gable of the middle
range stands above the outer ranges, and has a round cast iron window. The
interior has no machinery but otherwise is almost complete. Transverse beams of
imported pine of high quality approx. 9.20 metres long, supported on cast iron
stanchions on ground, first and second storeys, replaced wooden posts on third
storey. Roof trusses with 2 raking struts in each pitch. Original internal
stairs to full height at each end. C20 goods lift in front left corner. The
mill was built for George Docwra after the earlier mill was destroyed by fire in
1858, and the engine house was added before 1872. At that time 6 pairs of
stones were driven by water power, and 5 pairs by steam, operating 24 hours a
day, 6 days a week; it was insured for £2,000. The square chimney was at the
rear of the engine house. By 1976 it was leaning dangerously, and was
demolished soon afterwards (H. Benham, Some Essex Water Mills, 1976, 67, and
M.S. Gregson, unpublished dissertation Kelvedon Milling from the late Eighteenth
Century to the early Twentieth Century, 1976, 5-6, in the possession of the
owners).


Listing NGR: TL8609818210

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.