History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Warehouse and Workshop at Mellons Timber Yard

A Grade II Listed Building in Kelvedon, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8368 / 51°50'12"N

Longitude: 0.7 / 0°42'0"E

OS Eastings: 586116

OS Northings: 218800

OS Grid: TL861188

Mapcode National: GBR QKT.XF1

Mapcode Global: VHKG8.23X7

Entry Name: Warehouse and Workshop at Mellons Timber Yard

Listing Date: 25 June 1974

Last Amended: 29 July 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1123820

English Heritage Legacy ID: 116490

Location: Kelvedon, Braintree, Essex, CO5

County: Essex

District: Braintree

Civil Parish: Kelvedon

Built-Up Area: Kelvedon

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Kelvedon St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Feering

Listing Text

KELVEDON HIGH STREET
TL 8418-8518 (north-west side)

10/177 No. 99, Warehouse and
25.6.74 workshop at Mellons
Timber Yard (formerly
listed as Warehouse,
Mellons Timber Yard)

GV II

Warehouse and workshop. C19. Timber framed, weatherboarded, roofed with
corrugated iron and red clay pantiles. 4 bays aligned NW-SE, with entrance to
SW, 3 storeys, and 3 bays to NW same alignment, one storey with loft. SE
elevation (to High Street), full-width band of small-pane fixed lights on ground
and first floors. On second floor, moulded frame enclosing the whole storey,
formerly of a trade sign. Semi-circular fixed light with moulded rim in gable.
On the left return, 3 bays of the ground floor are open; plain boarded door with
simple canopy in SE bay. On first floor, double loading doors, and to each
side, continuous band of small-pane fixed lights. On second floor, similar
loading doors, shorter band of similar windows. Low-pitched corrugated iron
roof. The smaller building to the NW; has in the SW elevation, scattered
fenestration on the ground floor, and a full-length band of small-pane fixed
lights in the loft; half-glazed door in recessed entrance bay, and one plain
boarded door; pantiled roof. In main building, bolted knees to transverse
beams. Ground floor approx. 0.5 metre below the level of tarmac yard. Shown on
First Edition 25" o.s. map of 1875, and apparently on tithe map of 1840 (Essex
Record Office, D/CT 196). A timber business was founded on this site by
Jeremiah Braddy in 1818, and remained in the family until 1964, when it was sold
by William Braddy to Mellons (Essex County Standard, 15 December1978).


Listing NGR: TL8611618800

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.