History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Bushmoor cowes

A Grade II Listed Building in Feering, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8507 / 51°51'2"N

Longitude: 0.7145 / 0°42'52"E

OS Eastings: 587055

OS Northings: 220378

OS Grid: TL870203

Mapcode National: GBR QKN.TQT

Mapcode Global: VHKG2.BRK5

Entry Name: Bushmoor cowes

Listing Date: 1 February 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1123830

English Heritage Legacy ID: 116409

Location: Feering, Braintree, Essex, CO5

County: Essex

District: Braintree

Civil Parish: Feering

Built-Up Area: Feering

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Feering All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Feering

Listing Text

FEERING COGGESHALL ROAD
TL 8620-8720 (west side)

7/88 Cowes and Bushmoor
1.2.88

GV II

House, now 2 cottages. Early C16, altered in C17 and late C19. Timber framed,
plastered, roofed with glazed black pantiles. 4 bays facing NE, with stack of
c.1600 in second bay from left end and C19 external stack to rear of right end,
with lean-to extension with felt roof beyond. Lean-to extension roofed with
asbestos tiles to rear of left end. One storey with attics. One late CL9
casement with blind Gothick head, one similar blind aperture, one small fixed
light under eaves, 3 C19 sashes of 3 + 6 lights, double casement in gabled
dormer roofed with handmade red plain tiles. Half-glazed door in gabled porch
(Cowes), half-glazed door with sidelight and flat canopy (Bushmoor). Jowled
posts, arched bracing trenched inside heavy studding. The left bay has an early
C17 inserted floor comprising a chamfered axial beam with lamb's tongue stops,
and plain joists of vertical section supported on pegged clamps. The right end
bay has an original floor of plain joists of horizontal section arranged
longitudinally. The walls have been raised approx. 0.60 metre. The stack
comprises a large wood-burning hearth facing to left, of which the front part
has been cut back for an inserted stair, with an incomplete bread oven to the
rear; and a smaller wood-burning hearth facing to right, with a blocked aperture
for a former bread oven to the rear. The internal tiebeams have been removed or
severed. Good C17 or C18 internal battened doors with original latches. The
owner has a complete series of deeds from the will of John Eley, 1749; the
property was named Corves in 1764, which had become Cowes by 1865. The other
name, Bushmoor, is of C20 coinage.


Listing NGR: TL8705520378

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.