History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

41-46, the Street

A Grade II Listed Building in Stisted, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8916 / 51°53'29"N

Longitude: 0.6143 / 0°36'51"E

OS Eastings: 579992

OS Northings: 224674

OS Grid: TL799246

Mapcode National: GBR QK4.65C

Mapcode Global: VHJJC.LQM9

Entry Name: 41-46, the Street

Listing Date: 6 September 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1123874

English Heritage Legacy ID: 116315

Location: Stisted, Braintree, Essex, CM77

County: Essex

District: Braintree

Civil Parish: Stisted

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Stisted All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Stisted

Listing Text

TL 7924 STISTED THE STREET
(east side)

7/296 Nos. 41 to 46 (consec.)

GV II

Range of 6 attached cottages. Circa 1830. Flint rubble with dressings and
chimneys of gault brick, and some red brick, roofed with slate. Main range
facing SW with 3 axial stacks, and rear wing at left, projecting to left, with
one internal stack. 2 storeys. C20 single-storey lean-to extension with felt
roof in rear angle. Each cottage has in the main elevation one window on the
ground floor and one on the first floor, and a door. In addition there are 3
false windows on the first floor, each coinciding with a party wall. No. 41, at
the left end, retains the original horizontal sashes of 15+15 lights on the
ground floor and 12+12 lights on the first floor. All the false windows are
original horizontal sashes of 12+12 lights with crown seconds glass. All the
other windows in this elevation are early C20 casements of 8 lights. Segmental
arches. All the doors are original, with moulded flat canopies on profiled
brackets; that of no. 42 has an inserted diamond light and false hinges, and
that of no. 45 has an inserted square light. Plain band of 2 courses of brick
at the height of the first-floor window sills. Hipped roof of shallow pitch.
The right return has 2 early C20 casements of 8 lights on each floor. The left
return has on the ground floor 3 original horizontal sashes of 15+15 lights, and
on the first floor 3 original horizontal sashes of 15+15, 12+12 and 12+12 lights
respectively, one of which is false. In front of projecting wing, C20
half-glazed door and first-floor window of 20 lights. The rear elevation has
door and window dressings of red brick. This range of cottages has remained
exceptionally unaltered; the casements which have been changed are of compatible
design. Not present in a map of 1823 (Essex Record Office Q/Hi 4/39) but
present in the tithe map of 1839 (Essex Record Office, D/CT 355).


Listing NGR: TL7999224674

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.