This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9059 / 51°54'21"N
Longitude: 0.6024 / 0°36'8"E
OS Eastings: 579119
OS Northings: 226235
OS Grid: TL791262
Mapcode National: GBR QJX.H3S
Mapcode Global: VHJJC.DCB9
Entry Name: Kentishes Farmhouse
Listing Date: 2 May 1953
Last Amended: 6 September 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1123898
English Heritage Legacy ID: 116268
Location: Stisted, Braintree, Essex, CM77
Civil Parish: Stisted
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Stisted All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
TL 72 NE STISTED
1/252 Kentishes Farmhouse
2.5.53 (formerly listed as
House. Late C16, altered c.1600, renovated and restored 1986. Timber framed,
plastered, roofed with handmade red plain tiles. 4-bay crosswing facing NE,
c.1580, originally with long jetty, of a former hall house. 4-bay main range
facing SE on site of hall house, with internal stack in left bay. C17 stair
tower to rear of left bay, and C19 single-storey lean-to extension to left of
it. External stack, c.1600, to right of crosswing. C18 lean-to extension to
rear of main range. 2 storeys, cellar and attics. On ground floor, 2 late
C18/early C19 splayed bays, each with moulded mullions, saddle bars and one
wrought iron casement. To each side of each bay, one window of c.1600 with 2
ovolo-moulded mullions, ovolo-moulded surround, and 3 diamond saddle bars, with
C20 rectangular leaded glazing. Late C16 studded door of 8 moulded and rebated
planks, a rare feature. On left stack, 2 late C16 octagonal shafts. On right
stack, 2 moulded shafts in Tudor style, restored 1986. In the rear elevation
are 2 first-floor windows, c.1600, with ovolo-moulded mullions similar to those
in front. Jowled posts. In crosswing, edge-halved and bridled scarf in right
wallplate; diamond mortices and shutter groove for former unglazed window to
left of rear bay. Ground-floor hearth rebuilt, retaining original mantel beam.
Clasped purlin roof with curved wind bracing. Rebated oak floorboards in attic.
Door of 6 moulded and rebated planks in ground floor of crosswing, late C16. In
rear bays, exposed plain joists of horizontal section. In middle bays of main
range, moulded axial and transverse beams. Left ground-floor hearth rebuilt,
retaining original mantel beam. At rear of ground floor, 2 12-panel oak doors,
c.1600, one inverted, and dado of re-sited oak panelling. Late C17 stair with
large turned newels (damaged on landing), plain chamfered handrails, and turned
oak balusters of 2 different designs attached with handmade nails. At head of
stair, one early C18 2-panel door and one early C17 8-panel door with cockshead
hinges. The stair tower blocks an original first-floor window. Similar roof.
This house retains an exceptional number of early features in unaltered
condition, and has been accurately restored in 1986. Some evidence of a former
crosswing at left end. RCHM 18.
Listing NGR: TL7911926235
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings