History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Range of 2 Barns Approximately 60 Metres South South East of High Laver Grange Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in High Laver, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7612 / 51°45'40"N

Longitude: 0.2139 / 0°12'49"E

OS Eastings: 552881

OS Northings: 209264

OS Grid: TL528092

Mapcode National: GBR MG5.DX8

Mapcode Global: VHHM8.NZFR

Entry Name: Range of 2 Barns Approximately 60 Metres South South East of High Laver Grange Farmhouse

Listing Date: 26 April 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1123934

English Heritage Legacy ID: 118084

Location: High Laver, Epping Forest, Essex, CM5

County: Essex

District: Epping Forest

Civil Parish: High Laver

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: High Laver with Magdalene Laver and Little Laver

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Harlow

Listing Text

TL 529 093 HIGH LAVER Range of 2
5/9 Barns approx. 60
metres SSE of High
Laver Grange
Farmhouse

II

Range of barns, C17-18. Timber framed, weatherboarded, roofed with corrugated
iron. Consists of (1) one barn of 5 bays aligned approx. N-S, with aisle on W
only, with midstrey to E. Jowled posts, straight tiebeams, arched braces to
them and to arcade plate. Primary straight bracing, heavy studding. Vertical
queen struts, clasped purlins, with extra clasping collars at half-bay
intervals. Bladed scarfs in arcade plate and wallplate. Original W door
blocked with corrugated iron. In original E doorway there are carved grotesque
brackets, each representing a female figure with cloven hoofs, tenoned aid
pegged into the angles between the jambs and lintel, original to the structure,
with traces of original red paint. The grotesque N of the doorway has been
mutilated to fit a later knee. Outside the brackets there are rough 'spandrels'
of weatherboarding, indicating that the lean-to midstrey has been added after
the original barn had been completed and clad with weatherboarding. The
brackets are comparable in style with those at George Bootes House, Felsted,
dated 1596, and in this context probably indicate construction in the period
1600-1640. (2) A barn of 5 bays extended to the N of (1) without an aisle,
with midstrey to the E and double doors to the W. Posts now jowled, arched
braces to straight tiebeams. Primary straight bracing. Inclined queen struts
to principal rafters. Clasped purlins with arched wind bracing. Late C17/early
C18. Listed for Group Value. RCHM 4.


Listing NGR: TL5288109264

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.