This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6951 / 51°41'42"N
Longitude: 0.1465 / 0°8'47"E
OS Eastings: 548448
OS Northings: 201780
OS Grid: TL484017
Mapcode National: GBR LFJ.MVV
Mapcode Global: VHHMM.HN9C
Entry Name: Gaynes Park
Listing Date: 11 April 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1123952
English Heritage Legacy ID: 118030
Location: Theydon Garnon, Epping Forest, Essex, CM16
District: Epping Forest
Civil Parish: Theydon Garnon
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Theydon Garnon
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
TL 40 SE THEYDON GARNON GAYNES PARK
3/341 "Gaynes Park"
A very large, late C19 house, incorporating remains of late C18 and early C19
houses. Grey stone faced, red brick built. Grey slate roof. Asymetrical plan.
Mainly 3 storeys. Crosswing to left, adjoined to right by 2 storey porch to
right of which are 4 bays with two feature gables. All gables and crosswings
with stone coping, finials and balls. There are stone diamond pierced railed
parapets, 4 large gargoyles and various banding. Top floor 3 window range of
3 light crossed transomes. Ground and first floor with 1:1:4 range of 5 light
crossed transomes. Tudor arch with moulded spandrels to porch with diamond
rail parapet over. Both return faces are stone faced, but with different
features. The left return with a grand porch and door. The rear of C18 red
brick with several windows from the earlier house. Internally are many good,
late C19 features, including a grand entrance hall, with a central staircase
leading to the gallery with 6 Ionic columns and half round centre bay. A good,
second staircase with twisted balusters. Coloured tiled floors, panelled doors,
waincots and dados. A fully panelled dining room, with matching fire surround
and portrait spaces. The Library, though at present bereft of books is
otherwise complete. There are book shelves to three sides of the room with
a walkway gallery at half height. Original ladders in situ. Each book shelf
division, with a vertical panel of hand carved fruit and flowers and horizontal
edges with leaf carvings. Room approx. 50 x 30. There is an C18 bell on wrought iron
brackets at rear of House, and an original bell pull to rear door. The property
was originally part of a Medieval Deer Park and was known at Gaines with the House
south of present House, and as Park Hall C18 and C19. Queen Elizabeth held
a Council here when it was the home of Sir William Fitzwilliam. Latterly owned
by the Earls of Anglesey. Demolished 1740, rebuilt on present site by 1777.
Acquired by the Chisenhale-Marsh family in 1792, who altered it, in grey brick
before 1818, with Venetian windows. (Some of these windows remain at rear and
in outbuilding). Some additions and alterations by Thos. Coxhead Chisenhale-
Marsh circa 1870. Until quite recently the gardens were considered among the
best in Essex.
Listing NGR: TL4844801780
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings