History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade II* Listed Building in Stapleford Tawney, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6698 / 51°40'11"N

Longitude: 0.1719 / 0°10'18"E

OS Eastings: 550288

OS Northings: 199018

OS Grid: TQ502990

Mapcode National: GBR SC.D04

Mapcode Global: VHHMT.X9Q7

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 20 February 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1124008

English Heritage Legacy ID: 117969

Location: Stapleford Tawney, Epping Forest, Essex, RM4

County: Essex

District: Epping Forest

Civil Parish: Stapleford Tawney

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Stapleford Tawney with Theydon Mount

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
North Weald

Listing Text

TQ 59 NW STAPLEFORD TAWNEY CHURCH ROAD
7/277 Church of St. Mary
20/2/67
GV II*

Parish Church. Chancel circa 1220. South chapel and nave added shortly after.
North vestry and South Porch circa 1862 when the church was drastically
restored. West Bell Turret weatherboarded with shingled broach spire and
weathercock. Flint rubble built with stone dressings. Red plain tiled roofs
with pierced ridge tiles. Chancel. 2, 2 stage buttresses stone capped. East
window of 3 C19/20 lancets in pointed arched heads, in the north wall is a
lancet window, modern except for re-cut stone splays and a C19/20 arch to the
organ chamber. South wall with C15 window of 2 cinquefoil lights with square
head and moulded label. C19/20 arcade of 2 bays extending into nave. There
is no chancel arch. Chancel roof of 7 cants is plastered and painted. South
Chapel. Mid Cl3. In east wall is an original lancet window under a wide
pointed wall arch. In the south wall are 3 lancets and 1 in the west wall,
are all modern except possibly re-cut stones in the splays. Moulded wall plates
to 6 cant roof. Nave. In the north wall are 2 C19 2 light windows, one Cl9
doorway and the blocked C13 north doorway with chamfered jambs and two centred
arch. The south wall has C19/20 2 light window in a 2 centred head and C19/20
doorway with 2 centre head moulded label and face stops, vertically boarded
door with 4 ornate hinges. Nave roof of 7 cants with C19 boarding. The Porch
has a crossquadrate crownpost, collared rafters and stop chamfered tie beam
on flint walls. Bell Turret stands on 4 chamfered posts with tie beams, curved
braces and diagonal struts. Fittings. Font on plain shaft with moulded base
and cushion bowl. Hatchment to north wall. Communion rails. Square posts
with moulded tops, flat, pierced, moulded and diminishing balusters Cl7. Floor
slabs in chancel to various members of the Luther and Lowe families Cl7 and
Cl8. Monuments to members of the Smith family, Henry Soames, Grace Adalson
and Charlotte Tupper. Stone pulpit with 2 two-centre arches to each face.


Listing NGR: TQ5028899018

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.