This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7073 / 51°42'26"N
Longitude: 0.2452 / 0°14'42"E
OS Eastings: 555230
OS Northings: 203334
OS Grid: TL552033
Mapcode National: GBR MGS.W9T
Mapcode Global: VHHMP.6CH1
Entry Name: The Rectory
Listing Date: 20 February 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1124063
English Heritage Legacy ID: 117784
Location: Ongar, Epping Forest, Essex, CM5
District: Epping Forest
Civil Parish: Ongar
Built-Up Area: Chipping Ongar
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Chipping Ongar with Shelley
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
TL 5503 CHIPPING ONGAR HIGH Street (E side)
8/69 "The Rectory"
House. Cl7 origin to N wing. Main block added early Cl8. Purchased for a
Rectory 1723. Timber framed and rough rendered. Red plain tile two level
roof, the Cl8 range with two Cl8 hipped dormers. Dentilled and moulded eaves
cornice. 2 storeys and attics. 5 window range of Cl8 sliding sash windows
with thick glazing bars and internal shutters. 1 range of C18 horizontal
sliding sash windows to left range. Central 4 panelled door with light.
Pilasters with moulded bases and capitals, dentilled frieze soffit and dentilled
soffit to pediment, approached by 4 steps. Large square red brick chimney stack
with moulded base to left and external red brick chimney stack to right. North
wing said to contain original Cl7 panelling. RCHM 13.
Listing NGR: TL5523003334
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings