History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Old Corner Shop

A Grade II Listed Building in Ongar, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.704 / 51°42'14"N

Longitude: 0.2458 / 0°14'44"E

OS Eastings: 555278

OS Northings: 202975

OS Grid: TL552029

Mapcode National: GBR MGZ.2Y5

Mapcode Global: VHHMP.6FSJ

Entry Name: Old Corner Shop

Listing Date: 27 August 1952

Last Amended: 11 April 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1124068

English Heritage Legacy ID: 117800

Location: Ongar, Epping Forest, Essex, CM5

County: Essex

District: Epping Forest

Civil Parish: Ongar

Built-Up Area: Chipping Ongar

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Chipping Ongar with Shelley

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
North Weald

Listing Text

TL 5502 ONGAR HIGH STREET (E side)
9/85 No 150 (Old Corner Shop)
27/8/52 and attached buildings to
rear. (formerly listed as
The Corner House)

GV II

Shop C17 and earlier with C18 and later alterations. The front range at the
corner of High Street and Church Approach is jettied to each face, with a
moulded bressumer and 4 Vitruvian scroll brackets Timber framed and plastered
with red plain tiled roof, gabled to Church approach. Hipped dormer with Cl9
small paned window to High Street. 2 storeys basement and attics. 2 range
C19 small paned vertical, sliding sash windows to each face of first floor and
C19 attic window to Church Approach. Ground floor to Church Approach has 2 C19
small paned windows and C19 ½ glazed with small panes to double doors with
moulded surrounds, stop chamfered with chalice and fleur-de-lis. The High
Street face with C19 small paned window to right, and C17 doorway with moulded
surround, stop chamfered and with carved chalice and fleur-de-lis, carved above
is the date 1642. Coved eaves cornice. Red brick chimney stack with 2
octagonal shafts. To the left of the Church Approach face are two attached
buildings, the first, of 2 storeys, probably late C15, or early C16 and
originally jettied with 2 window range of Cl9 3 light casements. The first
floor with exposed timber frame, C15/16 or earlier. The second of one storey,
part rough rendered, part weatherboard with red plain tile roof hipped to left.
There is a double door to the left, and an early, 3 board door in a moulded
surround to right. All builds of visual and historic interest to the Church and
High Street. RCHM 9. _


Listing NGR: TL5527802975

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.