This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7044 / 51°42'15"N
Longitude: 0.2255 / 0°13'31"E
OS Eastings: 553879
OS Northings: 202974
OS Grid: TL538029
Mapcode National: GBR MGY.3TR
Mapcode Global: VHHMN.VFL7
Entry Name: Church of St Andrew
Listing Date: 11 April 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1124095
English Heritage Legacy ID: 117767
Location: Ongar, Epping Forest, Essex, CM5
District: Epping Forest
Civil Parish: Ongar
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Greensted-juxta-Ongar St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
TL 50 SW ONGAR GREENSTED
4/52 Church of St.
Church. A unique structure, the vertical split oak, log walls of the nave
said to have been dated by dendro-magnetic method to 845 AD. St. Edmund's
body reputedly rested here c.1013 whilst on its journey to Bury St. Edmunds.
The Church was re-roofed during reign of Henry VII and heavily restored and
underpinned 1837/48. Carved spandrels depicting the legend of St. Edmund were
added and dormer windows inserted. The Chancel was rebuilt in red brick c.1500
and there is an original arched and moulded doorway and window on the south
side. The timber framed and weatherboarded Tower, with a brooched shingle spire
is of uncertain date and has 3 louvre openings to the Belfry, and a 3 light
diamond leaded window. There is a 3 light window with cuspings and tracery
above to the ground floor. Nave and Chancel roofs of plain red tiles with 3
gabled dormers to north and south, each with 2 light, leaded windows and barge
boards to gables. Stone coping to Nave and Chancel gable ends. Chancel with
flint plinth, probably of the original Norman Chancel. Round head moulded brick
windows with drip hoods to north and south walls, in addition to the original
window and doorway. A 3 light east window with cusped tracery above, moulded
brick surround and label. Stone capped buttresses to all Chancel ends. Red
tiled, gabled South porch is timber framed with barge boards to gable.
Internally the Chancel Arch is of Cl6 moulded brick in two orders. There is
a pillar piscina of uncertain date, a small arched panel painting of St. Edmund
c1500 and in the west window a c.1500 stained glass head of a man reputed to
be St. Edmund. Pulpit of moulded timber panels dated 1698. Monuments T. Smith
1585, R. Hewyt, 26 April 1724. (RCHM 1; C.A. Hewett, 1974).
Listing NGR: TL5387902974
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings