History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Waltham Abbey Vicarage

A Grade II* Listed Building in Waltham Abbey, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6878 / 51°41'16"N

Longitude: -0.0038 / 0°0'13"W

OS Eastings: 538087

OS Northings: 200666

OS Grid: TL380006

Mapcode National: GBR KM.9QD

Mapcode Global: VHGQ2.WVC0

Entry Name: Waltham Abbey Vicarage

Listing Date: 3 February 1971

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1124127

English Heritage Legacy ID: 117633

Location: Waltham Abbey, Epping Forest, Essex, EN9

County: Essex

District: Epping Forest

Civil Parish: Waltham Abbey

Built-Up Area: Waltham Abbey

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Waltham Abbey

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Waltham Abbey

Listing Text

HIGHBRIDGE STREET
1.
1767
Waltham Abbey Vicarage
TL 3800 NW 1/1D 3.2.71.
II* GV

2.
Late C16 or early C17 L-shaped building. 2 storeys and attic, 3 windows. High
pitched roof, renewed tiles, gabled at left and with projecting section under
gable at right. 1 original and 1 renewed brick chimney. 2 later, flat headed
dormers stuccoed walls. Sash windows (some renewed) with glazing bars in near
flush, moulded frames. Ground floor windows have old external shutters. Projecting
ground-floor section within the L has early C19 entrance porch with square wood
columns, cornice hood and trellised side. Door has 2 glazed panels above and
rusticated panels below. Reeded architrave. 2 round-headed late C18 windows at back,
one, in gabled extension, has patterned radial head which may have been a door
fanlight. Joseph Hall, afterwards Bishop of Exeter and Norwich, lived here
16l2-34. Thomas Fuller, cleric and historian, lived here 1649-57. Graded partly
for historic interest.

Church or the Holy Cross and St Lawrence, Abbey Gateway, Midnight Chapel and
Harolds Bridge, Walls of Abbey and Chapter House, Garden Wall and the Vicarage
form a group.


Listing NGR: TL3808700666

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.