This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.688 / 51°41'16"N
Longitude: -0.0023 / 0°0'8"W
OS Eastings: 538191
OS Northings: 200690
OS Grid: TL381006
Mapcode National: GBR KM.B3P
Mapcode Global: VHGQ2.XT5W
Entry Name: Waltham Abbey Walls, Including Chapter House Wall
Listing Date: 3 February 1971
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1124157
English Heritage Legacy ID: 117611
Location: Waltham Abbey, Epping Forest, Essex, EN9
District: Epping Forest
Civil Parish: Waltham Abbey
Built-Up Area: Waltham Abbey
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Waltham Abbey
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
1. Waltham Abbey Walls, including
Chapter House Wall
TL 3800 NW 1/1E 3.2.71.
Late C12 or early Cl3, dating from rebuilding period after 1184, raising of
Priory to Abbey and before 1242, date of rededication of enlarged church. Rubble,
incorporating some flintwork, and red brickwork, some perhaps original. North
west section later became part of Abbey House and incorporates brick fireplaces
from the time of Sir Edward Denny, died 1399; mullioned and transomed window
now blocked. 2 red brick piers in centre of north wall have stone plinths
and pyramidal caps. Abbey House demolished 1770.
Church of the Holy Cross and St Lawrence, Abbey Gateway, Midnight Chapel and
Harolds Bridge, Walls of Abbey and Chapter House, Garden Wall and the Vicarage
form a group.
Listing NGR: TL3819100690
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings