History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

South Side (Old Rectory) the Old Rectory

A Grade II Listed Building in Aston Clinton, Buckinghamshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.798 / 51°47'52"N

Longitude: -0.7162 / 0°42'58"W

OS Eastings: 488624

OS Northings: 211815

OS Grid: SP886118

Mapcode National: GBR D37.CQ4

Mapcode Global: VHDVD.J2QH

Entry Name: South Side (Old Rectory) the Old Rectory

Listing Date: 11 March 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1124194

English Heritage Legacy ID: 42591

Location: Aston Clinton, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire, HP22

County: Buckinghamshire

District: Aylesbury Vale

Civil Parish: Aston Clinton

Traditional County: Buckinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Aston Clinton

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Aston Clinton

Listing Text

SP 81 SE ASTON CLINTON LONDON ROAD
south side

5/23 The Old Rectory and South
11.3.85 Side (Old Rectory)

-
- II

Former Rectory now two dwellings. 1850 by E.B. Lamb. Tudor style,
red brick with blue headers, stone dressings and quoins. Old tiled
roof, tall brick chimneys with cogged string courses and corbelled
heads. Steep gables with cogged brick verges, kneelers of brick on deep
stone corbels. Small gabled dormer to centre of E. front 2 storeys
and attic, plinth, first floor cogged brick string. Stone mullioned
windows, transomed to ground and 1st floor, with diamond leaded
glazing, large panes to ground floor windows of S. wing E. front has
flanking gabled projections, gabled porch to LH of centre, with cogged
brick verge and tile hung apex, 5 centred stone arch, similar inner
arch with half glazed oak door. Early C20 bay window to LH of ground
floor, stair window and 2-light window to 1st floor. 2 light attic
window. Centre bay has 2-light window to each floor on RH, of porch.
RH wing has stone tablet to ground floor with Latin inscription including
date 1850 "Edwardus Buckton Lamb Architectus" 3 light 1st floor window,
2 light attic window. S. front has central gable with 2 light attic
window, 2 light 1st floor window, 3 light window to LH of ground floor
bay window to RH with hipped roof, 4 light window and narrow door with
shouldered lintel and window over to W. return. W.front has gable
of S. wing on LH, with 2-light attic window, 3 light window to 1st
and ground floor. 2-light stair window to RH breaking string course.
Modern french doors to ground floor, four 2-light windows to RH, 4
light window to centre of 1st floor, two 2-light windows to RH, gable
in centre with 3 light attic window housing the central light stepped
up. Lower service wing at North end, altered. Interior Ground
floor rooms in S. wing have original panelled doors and hinges, and
two white marble chimneypieces in with Tudor arches.


Listing NGR: SP8862411815

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.