History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Almshouses

A Grade II* Listed Building in Worminghall, Buckinghamshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7709 / 51°46'15"N

Longitude: -1.0722 / 1°4'19"W

OS Eastings: 464119

OS Northings: 208428

OS Grid: SP641084

Mapcode National: GBR B09.ZPJ

Mapcode Global: VHCXR.CRKB

Entry Name: The Almshouses

Listing Date: 25 October 1951

Last Amended: 26 February 1985

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1124253

English Heritage Legacy ID: 42531

Location: Worminghall, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire, HP18

County: Buckinghamshire

District: Aylesbury Vale

Civil Parish: Worminghall

Traditional County: Buckinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Worminghall

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Worminghall

Listing Text

SP 60 NW WORMINGHALL THE AVENUE

7/150 Nos. 1-6 (consec.), The
Almshouses (formerly listed as
Almshouses).
25.10.51

- II*


Set of 6 almshouses, formerly 10. Dated 1675 on plaques. Founded
by John King for 6 men and 4 women. Thin brick in Flemish bond,
with semi-dressed chamfered stone plinth, chamfered stone quoins
and coved stone eaves. Hipped old tile roofs, 6 brick chimneys
rebuilt C20. H-plan with central passage. 2 storeys. Central
bar of 2 bays, each side wing projecting 2 bays to front and rear. N.E.
side has 2-light chamfered stone mullion windows with C20 metal
casements. S.W. front is similar but with 4-light windows to centre
bays. Some windows totally restored C20; blind windows to ends of
side wings. Central passage and doors to centre of each wing have
chamfered stone frames. Above passage entrances on each side
are inscription plaques in carved stone cartouches with coats of arms
above. N.W. and S.E. sides have 4-light windows to outer bays and
4 2-light windows to centre, all restored C20.
RCHM I p. 325-6 Mon. 6.


Listing NGR: SP6411908428

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.