This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8226 / 51°49'21"N
Longitude: -1.0948 / 1°5'41"W
OS Eastings: 462482
OS Northings: 214164
OS Grid: SP624141
Mapcode National: GBR 9ZQ.L1P
Mapcode Global: VHCXJ.ZG24
Entry Name: Church of St James
Listing Date: 21 December 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1124282
English Heritage Legacy ID: 42386
Location: Boarstall, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire, HP18
District: Aylesbury Vale
Civil Parish: Boarstall
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Boarstall
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SP 61 SW
Church of St. James
Parish church. Rebuilt 1818 with alterations of 1884. Rendered nave and
chancel with slate roofs, later C19 W. vestry and S. porch with some coursed
rubble stone and ashlar dressings. Off-set buttresses. W. wall of nave
has 2-light traceried window, small lancet above, and W. vestry with shallow
gable. 2 bays of 2-light stone windows with arched lights and Tudor hoodmoulds
to N. and S., the S. side also having late C19 shallow porch with moulded
arches. Bell-cote with cusped niche at E. end of nave. Chancel has moulded
parapet, and 3-light traceried E. window. Interior: nave has 4-centred
vault with narrow moulded wooden ribs and cornice. Moulded arch to vestry.
Moulded 4-centred arch to chancel. Fittings: good late C17 pulpit with
arcaded panels, split baluster ornament and moulded sounding board. C17
table with baluster legs and ornamental frieze. A little C17 panelling at
E. end of nave. Other fittings and glass C19, one window signed "Alex. Gibbs".
Monuments: S. wall of chancel has re-used C15 tomb-chest with 3 cusped
roundels and shields, incorporated into monument to two wives of Sir John
Aubrey, early C19, in Gothick style. Monument to Sir John Aubrey 1826 on N.
wall is in similar style. Marble tablet to Patty Mary Aubrey d.1774. Other
later monuments to members of the Aubrey family.
RCHM I p. 57.
Listing NGR: SP6248214164
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings