This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8241 / 51°49'26"N
Longitude: -0.919 / 0°55'8"W
OS Eastings: 474596
OS Northings: 214494
OS Grid: SP745144
Mapcode National: GBR C18.NGB
Mapcode Global: VHDV3.1D0Z
Entry Name: Parish Church of St Mary Magdalene
Listing Date: 21 December 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1124721
English Heritage Legacy ID: 43303
Location: Upper Winchendon, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire, HP18
District: Aylesbury Vale
Civil Parish: Upper Winchendon
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Waddesdon with Over Winchendon and Fleet Marston
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SP 71 SW UPPER WINCHENDON MAIN ROAD
2/361 Parish Church of St. Mary
Parish church. C12; C14 north aisle and south porch; C15 west tower.
Limestone rubble with stone dressings, the tower in dressed rubble.
Old tile roofs. 3 bay chancel; nave of 3 bays with north aisle; south
porch and west tower. Chancel has 2 east lancets, north and south walls
with 3 lancets that have differing sill height. Traces of blocked door
between left hand lancets on south side. Coped gable. North aisle has
reset east window of 3 trefoil lights with 3 quatrefoils in 2-centred
head. North wall has flowing traceried 2-light east window and at west and
on west wall 2 trefoil light windows with quatrefoils over. Centre
doorway with continuously moulded orders and label with head stops.
Nave south wall has lowset lancet at east. Timber framed porch flanked
by 3-light C15 windows with cinquefoil lights under a square head with
moulded external reveals and label. South doorway of nave is mid C12
has semi-circular moulded head of 2 orders and shafted jambs. Left
hand shaft enriched with spirals, the right hand with lozenges. Scalloped
capitals, moulded abaci. West tower of 2 stages with diagonal west
buttresses and embattled parapet. South east stair turret square in
plan to lower stages, then semi-octagonal and octagonal above parapet
with pyramidal stone cap. West doorway has continuous moulded jambs,
window above of 2 cinquefoiled lights and quatrefoil. Belfry windows of
2 trefoil lights and a quatrefoil in a pointed head. Interior. Chancel
windows have deep round headed rere-arches. Piscina c1200 at south east
and pointed arched sedile adjacent. Cupboard in north wall has medieval
wooden lining. Chancel arch 2-centre of one order, slightly chamfered to
nave. Square jambs and moulded abaci. Nave north arcade of 3 semi-
circular arches of one square order. No abaci or bases. Stoup to east of
south door. Tower arch of 3 chamfered orders dying into square jambs. C19
arch braced collar roofs incorporating some C15 head corbels in timber.
Communion rails late C17 with moulded rails and twisted balusters. C15
screen in chancel arch, open traceried upper panels, closed lower. Pulpit
C14 of 3 panels carved in one piece forming half hexagon with blind flowing
tracery in two stages and embattled top, a rare survival. West half of nave
has C16 pews with trefoil panel ends and embattled dado rails against
walls. Font c1200 tapering circular bowl on modern stem. Cover uses
octagonal Jacobean sounding board. Brasses. On chancel floor. Sir
John Stodeley vicar. 1502. Monument. North east chancel wall to John Goodwyn
1558. ARch on shafts frame 3 brass coats of arms and inscription C17
floor slabs in aisle.
RCHM I. 299. MON.1.
Listing NGR: SP7459614494
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings