History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary Magdalene

A Grade II Listed Building in Latimer, Buckinghamshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6798 / 51°40'47"N

Longitude: -0.554 / 0°33'14"W

OS Eastings: 500075

OS Northings: 198881

OS Grid: TQ000988

Mapcode National: GBR F64.QRB

Mapcode Global: VHFSJ.C10L

Entry Name: Church of St Mary Magdalene

Listing Date: 22 December 1958

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1124772

English Heritage Legacy ID: 44953

Location: Latimer, Chiltern, Buckinghamshire, HP5

County: Buckinghamshire

District: Chiltern

Civil Parish: Latimer

Civil Parish/community: Latimer and Ley Hill

Traditional County: Buckinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Latimer

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Chesham

Listing Text

TQ 00 98
9/97

LATIMER,
LATIMER VILLAGE
Church of St Mary Magdalene

22.12.58

II


Circa 1841 by E Blore. Enlarged and altered by Sir George Gilbert Scott in 1867,
adding further bay to nave, north and south transepts, chancel apse, vestry and
organ chamber. Red brick, slate roofs, some stone dressings. East apse in Early
English style with blind arcade pierced for 3 lancets. Nave with lancets, bays
separated by shallow stepped buttresses. North transept and vestry. South transept
and octagonal turret with spirelet. Interior: chancel arch and apse arch with
naturalistic foliage. Alabaster altar surround. Canted wooden roof on corbels with
wild flower carving. Stained glass by Clayton and Bell (apse), Powell and Sons of
Whitefriars (nave north side) all of 1873, and Kempe, circa 1892, in south
transept. Monument of 1632 and 1706.


Listing NGR: TQ0007598881

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.