This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6227 / 51°37'21"N
Longitude: -0.5514 / 0°33'5"W
OS Eastings: 500374
OS Northings: 192535
OS Grid: TQ003925
Mapcode National: GBR F6X.CD5
Mapcode Global: VHFSQ.DGBW
Entry Name: Pearman House at the National Society for Epilepsy
Listing Date: 30 July 1984
Last Amended: 27 August 2004
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1124828
English Heritage Legacy ID: 44774
Location: Chalfont St. Peter, Chiltern, Buckinghamshire, SL9
Civil Parish: Chalfont St. Peter
Civil Parish/community: Chalfont St Peter
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Chalfont St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
CHALFONT ST PETER
Pearman House at the National Society for Epilepsy
(Formerly listed as:
PEARMAN HOUSE CHALFONT CENTRE (FOR EPILEPTICS))
Villa accommodation for epileptics, originally for children. 1896-8 to the designs of either Maurice B. Adams or E. C. Shearman. Brick on ashlar plinth, with rendered first floor and tile-hung gables. Big tiled roof sweeping low over central two-storey range to meet those over single-storey wings to either side. It is a good example of the distinctive planning found at the Chalfont Centre, with a central two-storey range containing communal living areas on the ground floor and staff accommodation above, with single-storey wings to either side that formerly housed dormitories and a service range to the rear, since extended. Ground floor sash windows set in arched surrounds, with central stone oriel. First floor windows part renewed in uPVC. Small doors to sides, one long converted to a window, the other with timber door under simple hood.
The former Chalfont colony was founded in 1894 to give a normal, healthy village life to epileptics. It pioneered the concept of a village community for mental patients, which was widely adopted, firstly for other epileptic hospitals and in the inter-war period for institutions serving other mental disabilities. Milton House and Pearman House stand on slightly higher ground within the village, and form a strong group with Greene House. These buildings at the Chalfont Centre form an important group, for their historic interest in the treatment of epilepsy and as examples, if altered, of Arts and Crafts architecture designed to give a domestic feel to a hospital institution.
Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England, unpublished report NBR no.100291.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings