This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6434 / 51°38'36"N
Longitude: -0.5619 / 0°33'42"W
OS Eastings: 499606
OS Northings: 194826
OS Grid: SU996948
Mapcode National: GBR F6J.W77
Mapcode Global: VHFSJ.6YTJ
Entry Name: Monument to Captain Cook Approximately 70 Metres to North of the Vache
Listing Date: 22 December 1958
Last Amended: 17 March 1982
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1124987
English Heritage Legacy ID: 44441
Location: Chalfont St. Giles, Chiltern, Buckinghamshire, HP8
Civil Parish: Chalfont St Giles
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Chalfont St Giles
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
CHALFONT ST GILES VACHE LANE
Captain Cook approximately
70 metres to north
of the Vache
(formerly listed as
Monument to Captain
Cook in grounds of
SU 99 SE 2/66 22.12.58
Monument to Captain Cook, circa 1780. Circular miniature moat surrounds mound
on which stands open 2 storey tower of flint rubble with red brick dressings.
Open arcade of one round headed arch to each side. Battlemented parapet. Inside
is square stone pedestal inscribed at length with eulogium of Captain Cook and
carrying globe. Staircase to flat roof.
Erected by Admiral Sir Hugh Palliser, Cook's friend. Cook was a frequent guest.
Listing NGR: SU9960694826
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings