This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5582 / 51°33'29"N
Longitude: -0.6883 / 0°41'17"W
OS Eastings: 491028
OS Northings: 185180
OS Grid: SU910851
Mapcode National: GBR F7J.6SH
Mapcode Global: VHFT1.03ZB
Entry Name: Cliveden
Listing Date: 23 September 1955
Last Amended: 26 April 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1125041
English Heritage Legacy ID: 44256
Location: Taplow, South Bucks, Buckinghamshire, SL6
District: South Bucks
Civil Parish: Taplow
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Taplow
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 09/03/2017
SU 98 NW
CLIVEDEN ROAD (Cliveden)
(formerly listed as Cliveden, together with terrace wall, octagonal temple, Blenheim Pavilion and balustrade from Villa Borghese)
Circa 1850-1 by Sir Charles Barry on the site of, and of the same general dimensions and layout as, the house built by William Winde circa 1674-7 for George Villiers, Second Duke of Buckingham.
ENTRANCE (NORTH) FACADE. In a Cinquecento style. Three storeys; nine bays. Ground floor with central three-bay porte cochere of 1869 by H Clutton with coupled Tuscan columns flanked by arched windows in Gibbs surrounds. Upper floors rusticated and with front Ionic pilasters: First floor windows with pediments and blank balconies. Second floor windows in moulded surrounds. Frieze with incised Latin inscription. Balustrade with urns. Left and right low balustraded quadrants with attached Tuscan columns link up with side wings at right angles to the centre. The wings are two-storeyed and of seven bays, the central three advanced somewhat. Interior altered and redecorated by J Loughborough Pearson for Lord Astor in 1890s and has a genuine Francois-Premier fireplace in the hall and genuine French Rococo panelling from the chateau of Asmores of circa 1755 in the dining room.
GARDEN (SOUTH) FACADE. Generally similar to the entrance front but with a single-storeyed extra bay either side and standing high above two terraces. For the terraces SEE items 3/670 and 3/671.
Listing NGR: SU9103185182
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings