This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5817 / 51°34'54"N
Longitude: -0.6887 / 0°41'19"W
OS Eastings: 490953
OS Northings: 187795
OS Grid: SU909877
Mapcode National: GBR F74.STV
Mapcode Global: VHFSV.0HRT
Entry Name: Church of St Paul
Listing Date: 21 June 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1125542
English Heritage Legacy ID: 47087
Location: Wooburn, Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, HP10
Civil Parish: Wooburn
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Wooburn
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
WOOBURN WOOBURN TOWN
SU 98 NW
6/204 Church of St. Paul
Parish church. Originally late C12, with mid Cl4 N. chapel and
chancel, and W. tower added 1442; all heavily restored, internally 1856
by Butterfield, externally 1868-69, Knapped flint, stone dressings,
tiled roof to N. chapel, lead roofs to remainder. W. tower, nave, aisles,
chancel, N. chapel now used as vestry. C19 off-set buttresses.
Re-fenestrated 1868, except for N. chapel, with traceried windows in
Decorated style with segmental heads, hoodmoulds and carved head stops.
W. Tower is of 3 stages with battlemented parapet, moulded plinth and
strings, diagonal buttresses, and pinnacled octagonal stair turret at
S.E. corner. Bell chamber has 2-light openings; W. side has single
light to second stage, large 3-light window, and moulded doorway.
Nave has battlemented clerestory with C19 carved head gargoyles and
4 bays of 2-light windows. Aisles have C19 ornamental stone brackets
to moulded eaves, and 3 bays of 3-light windows, the S. aisle with
similar E. window and 2-light W. window. N. chapel has C14 traceried
windows with arched heads, 2 to N. of 2-lights restored C20 with plastic
stone, 3-light E. window partially restored with cement. C19 N. door
with shaped Caernarvon arch. Small C19 chimney. Battlemented chancel
with 2 bays of 2-light windows to S., and 3-light E. window.
Interior: moulded tower arch; late C12 4-bay nave arcades of
unmoulded 2-centred arches on cylindrical piers; C19 chancel arch on
corbel columns, moulded arch to N. chapel. 2 piscinae in chancel,
one cusped and with a shelf, another in N. chapel. Fittings: 2 chests,
one C13, the other C17; rood screen by Sir N. Comper 1899, slightly later
screen to N. chapel by studio of Comper; other fittings and glass mid
C19. Monuments: large wall tablet to Philip Lord Wharton 1695, with
Ionic pilasters, flanking scrolls, and open segmental pediment with
coat-of-arms; 2 C18 wall tablets; 6 brasses, C15-C17, one to infant
Arthur Wharton d. 1614.
RCHM I p. 322-323.
Listing NGR: SU9095387795
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings