History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Kingswood little Kingswood

A Grade II Listed Building in Medmenham, Buckinghamshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5582 / 51°33'29"N

Longitude: -0.8251 / 0°49'30"W

OS Eastings: 481547

OS Northings: 185025

OS Grid: SU815850

Mapcode National: GBR D60.86X

Mapcode Global: VHDWH.N359

Entry Name: Kingswood little Kingswood

Listing Date: 8 January 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1125592

English Heritage Legacy ID: 47017

Location: Medmenham, Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, SL7

County: Buckinghamshire

District: Wycombe

Civil Parish: Medmenham

Traditional County: Buckinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Medmenham

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Hurley

Listing Text

MEDMENHAM HENLEY ROAD
SU 88 NW
(north side)
4/134 Kingswood and Little
Kingswood
-
- II
Two houses, built as house for Mr. Hudson's agent. Circa 1897-1900,
slightly altered and extended later C20. By Romaine Walker. Dressed
chalk with stone mullion windows, upper storey on garden side roughcast
and whitewashed with wooden mullion and transom windows. Plain tile
roof, brick chimneys with 'V' pilasters and off-set heads. 2 storeys
and attic, the upper storey on garden side jettied with wooden
bressumer on curved wooden brackets. Approximately 6 bays of
irregular leaded casements, those to ground floor left and to first
floor with blind boxes. 2 later C20 flat-roofed dormers in outer
bays. 2 centre bays have deeper projection to first floor with
elaborately cusped wooden bargeboards to 'M' gable. This projection
was formerly an arcaded balcony but has been altered mid C20 with
leaded glazing and central extension on posts. Board door below in
moulded and stopped 4-centred stone arch. Lower bay set back to
left with half-hipped roof and later half-timbered extension. 1923
2-bay extension to right, of whitewashed roughcast with stone mullion
and transom bow window to gabled right bay. Rear has flanking
gabled bays with bargeboards and finials, and bridge to central
first floor porch. Porch has coped gable with moulded kneelers,
door in 4-centred stone arch with Tudor hoodmould and lozenge panel
above. Interior: small first floor hall in late medieval style,
with moulded panelling, coved wooden canopy over 4-centred stone
fireplace, and arch-braced roof trusses with ornamental richly
moulded wooden surround and good local tiles.
(Country Life, 1900 p. 204).


Listing NGR: SU8154785025

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.