This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6353 / 51°38'7"N
Longitude: -0.696 / 0°41'45"W
OS Eastings: 490345
OS Northings: 193753
OS Grid: SU903937
Mapcode National: GBR D56.JVJ
Mapcode Global: VHDW5.W5F5
Entry Name: Church of St Margaret
Listing Date: 8 January 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1125628
English Heritage Legacy ID: 46894
Location: Chepping Wycombe, Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, HP10
Civil Parish: Chepping Wycombe
Built-Up Area: High Wycombe
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Tylers Green
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
CHEPPING WYCOMBE CHURCH ROAD
SU 99 SW
3/8 Church of St. Margaret
Parish church. 1854, by David Brandon. Chancel altered and extended
to E. 1932; N. vestries added 1922; bell tower 1889. Flint with Bath stone
dressings and plain tile roofs. Nave, S. porch, chancel, vestries and
bell-tower. Coped gables, off-set buttresses. W. end of nave has 2-light
window with plate tracery and narrow shafts, stepped string course, and
gabled bell-cote. 5 bays of lancet windows with carved foliage hoodmould
stops to N. and S. Gabled S. porch with double chamfered arch and
carved head hoodmould stops. Chancel has shallow lean-to extension on
S. side with 4-light window, each light with a 4-centred head, and
3-light traceried windows in N. and S.sides of E. extension. E. end has
round window with geometric tracery, and re-sited carved foundation stone with
coat-of-arms. Vestries with arched traceried windows attached to N.
Bell-tower, rising from corner of N. vestry, has tall wooden belfry with
wooden tracery, louvres and pyramid roof. Both bell-tower and chancel
have ornamental gablets to buttresses. Interior: carved angel corbels to roof;
double-chamfered chancel arch on corbel shafts with richly carved caps and
bases; stone pulpit with angle shafts.
(Miles Green, The History of St. Maegaret's Church, Tylers Green, 1984).
Listing NGR: SU9034593753
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings