History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Vicarage

A Grade II* Listed Building in Turville, Buckinghamshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6141 / 51°36'50"N

Longitude: -0.8943 / 0°53'39"W

OS Eastings: 476654

OS Northings: 191165

OS Grid: SU766911

Mapcode National: GBR C3T.NQX

Mapcode Global: VHDW2.GP2H

Entry Name: The Old Vicarage

Listing Date: 21 June 1955

Last Amended: 22 January 1986

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1125643

English Heritage Legacy ID: 46833

Location: Turville, Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, RG9

County: Buckinghamshire

District: Wycombe

Civil Parish: Turville

Traditional County: Buckinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Turville

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Ibstone

Listing Text

SU 79 SE TURVILLE TURVILLE VILLAGE
(south side)

3/181 The Old Vicarage (formerly
listed as Vicarage)
21.6.55

GV II*

House, formerly vicarage. C17-C18 core, extended and remodelled c.1820-
30, with c.1967 alterations. Mostly flint with brick dressings, the
S.E. end completely of brick,all once colourwashed. Old tile roof,
hipped over S.E. end. Brick chimneys. 2 parallel ranges. 2 storeys
and attic, 4 bays. Front to road is irregular: left bay has 3-pane sashes;
second bay has gabled projection; remainder has sashes, cross casements and
blind window panels to right. 2 of the cross casements are C17-C18 and one
has original iron fittings. Gabled projection has front of glazed header
brick with red brick and flint rustication, C20 Gothick double doors in
rusticated 4-centred arch, and large upper sash window with pointed head.
Flanking door and window are panels of knapped, squared and coursed flint
with narrow plastered flint borders, the lower panels with flint dripmoulds,
the upper panels with open flint pediments. Other knapped. flint panels
between storeys. Sun and Royal Exchange fire insurance plaques. Garden front
has 4 bays of French doors with Gothick wooden glazing bars, matching sash
window to ground floor of second bay, and matching casement to first
floor left. First floor doors in bays 2 and 4 have delicate wrought iron
railings infront. Third bay has ground flooor projection and balcony
above with Gothick ironwork and tented metal roof. Openings in left bay
are C20. Interior: fine staircase curves round apse within entry projection,
with stick balusters, wreathed handrail and cut scrolls on string; S.E.
room has 2 reeded doorcases; some early C19 ceiling cornices; rear room with
Gothick fireplace and door of c. 1840-50, and vine trail ceiling cornice of
same date.


Listing NGR: SU7665491165

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.