History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Greenlands (The Management College, Henley)

A Grade II* Listed Building in Hambleden, Buckinghamshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5629 / 51°33'46"N

Longitude: -0.8823 / 0°52'56"W

OS Eastings: 477570

OS Northings: 185483

OS Grid: SU775854

Mapcode National: GBR C4D.ZPP

Mapcode Global: VHDW8.NZD8

Entry Name: Greenlands (The Management College, Henley)

Listing Date: 4 December 1992

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1125682

English Heritage Legacy ID: 46727

Location: Hambleden, Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, RG9

County: Buckinghamshire

District: Wycombe

Civil Parish: Hambleden

Traditional County: Buckinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Hambleden with Frieth

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Hambleden

Listing Text

SU 78 NE HAMBLEDEN GREENLANDS

Greenlands
(The Management College,
Henley)

6/77 II* (star)


Mansion, now college. Circa 1810, for Thomas Darby-Coventry. Extended
1853 for Edward Marjoribanks, and 1871 for W H Smith. Further
alterations to W front 1936-38 by P Geddes Hyslop. Whitewashed render,
slate roofs concealed by parapets. S front: 2 storeys, 5 bays, the 3
centre bays of 1810, the outer bays of 1853. Mid C19 modillion cornice
and balustraded parapet to all bays. Mid C19 banded quoins. Centre bay
has tripartite sash with architrave surround and cornice to first
floor, and early C19 entrance portico with 4 Ionic columns and
entablature. Capitals have festoons. Flanking bays are slightly
advanced and have bowed projections . 4-light French doors to ground
floor, tripartite sashes to first floor, all with architrave surrounds
and cornices. Outer bays have 2-storey canted bay windows with
pilasters, entablatures and 3-pane sashes. Single-storey whitewashed
brick extension to right, formerly an orangery but now a dining hall,
with late C19 2-storey service wing behind. Service wing has sash
windows with shouldered surrounds, and formerly had 3-storey tower at
angle with main block. Small tower with blind arcade of 3 Romanesque
arches and steep pyramid roof to right side of rear service blocks.
W front has 6 bays of sashes, and 2 centre bays slightly recessed with
entrance in Doric patico, probably C20. Another wing and C20
extensions set back to left.
Interior: entrance hall has distyle in antis Ionic screen of paired
columns, dentil cornice and pedimented doorcases. Early C19 open
string stair with decorative wrought-iron balusters, wreathed mahogany
handrail and panelled dado to garden hall. Rooms retain mid C19
plasterwork and C18 style fireplaces. Of particular interest, are the
early C20 Old Library designed and executed by William Morris & Co for
the Hon. W F D Smith, MP. Fitted oak panelling, shelves and glazed
cupboards with carved cornice and arcaded shelf above which a deep
plasterwork frieze to the square-coffered ceiling. Green marble
chimneypiece with bracketed oak mantle and carved lugged frame
overmantle. Fine copper Art Nouveau wall and ceiling light fittings
and bell pulls and door furniture with monograms to panelled oak
double leaf doors. The Old Library is illustrated in Hints on House
Furnishing, 1909 by W Shaw Sparrow. Also, the Garden common room
decorated with hand-painted wallpaper. Probably c1870's by Italian
craftsmen for W H Smith and rediscovered August 1991. Large panels of
fine foliate and florinate framework decoration alternate with
narrower panels having more ornate arabesque designs composed of
florinate, foliate, vases and animal designs; also ovals, originally
containing marouflaged panels of classical figures. C18 style ceiling
with evidence of hand-painting under current paint. Former bathroom
tiled to full height with fine patterned glazed tiles, depicting on
the dado fantastic fish in a 4 tile repeat pattern.


Listing NGR: SU7757085483

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.